Recommend me a record player

bartman100
bartman100 Posts: 544
edited July 2014 in The cake stop
For the whippersnappers, a 'record' is an analog sound storage medium in the form of a flat polyvinyl chloride (previously shellac) disc with an inscribed, modulated spiral groove; popular with people of a certain age for providing audial entertainment and nostalgic wallowing.

So...I want to play my records again and I don't want to keep passing by the option to pick up great records I see in second hand shops and car boot sales.

I have a sonos system, an aging Cambridge audio amp and some knackered old Castle speakers. I don't want to spend more than £300. I'm more interested in oomph than picking out the individual strings in Vivaldi's 4 seasons.

Cheers

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    As my current turntable is a 30 year old Technics then I cannot really recommend something to buy today based on personal experience.

However, I would start my research here - http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/turntables-and-lps
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I bought an Ariston Q deck for £149, it won the What HiFi award for best turntable up to £150 and also up to £300 so thought it a good choice. This was in 1986 though.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,658
    Rega
    Project
    Thorens

All good choices, and used can be a good option too. Save some budget for a reasonable cartridge, and proper setup is key.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I have an Acoustic Research EB101, a great little deck. You will also need to factor in the cost of a turntable amplifier (or more accurately referred to as an RIAA equaliser amplifier).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Vinyl is still popular with some younger DJ types as well. It't not just us oldies who know what it is. of course there are newfangled CD decks and even digital ones which work on stored electronic files I understand are called MP3s or AAC or lossless FLAC files. You get an artificial disc you can turn by hand to replicate the effect of actually turning the vinyl disc. Of course in my day we called them records not vinyl. I think it is only the young who call them vinyl these days.

I'm looking for a deck to convert into MP3 files. Got too many tapes and records to allow the music contained in them to die or get thrown away. Got a deadline of about September too. Got told by the other half that if I hadn't used them in a year I had to throw them out. Not going to happen but I'm looking to save them all in MP3 format in case she does the awful deed in my absence.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    I'm looking for a deck to convert into MP3 files.
    I simply bought a cable which connected the "Tape Out" in my amp to the "Mic In" on my laptop and recorded them that way.
    It takes a while though as it has to be done in real time and you have to stop between tracks but it is possible.
    To be honest though, it would be so much quicker ripping CDs that it is worth the expense of buying the CDs, or even simpler, downloading the tracks.
    Unless you have records that are not available in any other format of course.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    There are dedicated USB turntables that will plug straight into a PC - don't know what the quality is like. For tape to digital I've used an external USB 'sound card' with line-level inputs, which probably works a bit better than just using the mic socket. The process is pretty time consuming, but rather than stopping and starting I just let the whole recording run, save the output as a .wav, and chop into individual tracks later with Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Rega
    Project
    Thorens

This ^^^

That Ariston Q is good too - a mate of mine had one in uni in the late 80s...!

Make sure you budget for a decent cartridge - no point getting a good turntable and putting a rusty nail on the end of it.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Don't try and make out you're not an old fart by using the modern vernacular...you know it's ' recommend a record player to me' and not 'recommend me a record player' :roll:

Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Get a Project that suits your budget. Does your amp have a phono pre stage (amp) built in? A pair of inputs will be labeled phono and there will be a earth point. If not you will need to buy one.

Enjoy.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Rega or Pro-Ject at that price.

I have 2 technics 1210s, which is a seriously underrated Turntable, bought for DJing but now I use one for playback.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Still running a pair of 1210's bought second hand in 1995.

As for ripping to digital, one of those mp3 decks is probably OK but I wouldn't hold out for a quality needle on the end.

I still buy and play records. If I shifted my collection I could probably buy a Legend for every day of the week but I can't part with them - much to the other half's dismay. One room's full of bikes, the other's full of records!
  • bartman100
    bartman100 Posts: 544
    thanks all. Should maybe have mentioned that I'm happy to go second hand.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I have a project debut2 it has been great,and great sound,cost me about £140 12 years ago,i think some of the newer ones come with a built in pre-amp but not 100% sure,i am going to get round to buying a pre-amp with a usb.got so much i want to put on to my ipod,that is now on vinyl,would love a rega P3 but funds not allowing for the forseable future
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    Can't go wrong with a 1210. If you buy anything second hand, replace the cartridge with a new one.
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    I have Rega P3, for which I traded a 1210 in for 20 years ago; I recently upgraded the motor on it.

Project & Rega have some good decks for not much money.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I'm looking for a deck to convert into MP3 files.
    I simply bought a cable which connected the "Tape Out" in my amp to the "Mic In" on my laptop and recorded them that way.
    It takes a while though as it has to be done in real time and you have to stop between tracks but it is possible.
    To be honest though, it would be so much quicker ripping CDs that it is worth the expense of buying the CDs, or even simpler, downloading the tracks.
    Unless you have records that are not available in any other format of course.
    Exactly. If you can buy if again. Cheaper and better quality.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I sometimes look here : http://www.originlive.com/technics-1200 ... ply-2.html
    and think should I?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Second hand Linn LP12
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Second hand Linn LP12

Oh yes, a classic. In fact you don't need to use it, just buy one to stare at its elegance.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Or, if you can't afford the LP12, the Axis is pretty good...
  • drlodge wrote:
    Second hand Linn LP12

Oh yes, a classic. In fact you don't need to use it, just buy one to stare at its elegance.

I bought mine in 1979, cost me the princely sum of £340 (plus I had to buy the Basik arm and cartridge) Had a few upgrades from then but spread over 35 years it's quite a good investment.