New road wheels advice, first decent set?

Big_Red_1989
Big_Red_1989 Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Ok so have been into my road riding for a little over a year, first road bike purchased beginning of last year on the bike to work scheme, was meant to be the orbea aqua aluminium bike, but for whatever reason at the time my shop was doing free frame upgrades to the mid range orca carbon frame sets, so i have a half decent Orbea Orca frameset running tiagra/105 mix components and stock orbea wheels/seatpost/stem/bars..

ok so history lesson over im mainly a mountain bike and i know a decent set of wheels can change the way a bike performs and if im gonna put money into the bike thats where i want it i just dont know which ones to get! dont want to spend too much as its not a high spec bike so price range and standard appropriate to the spec of the bike if you get me?

so im thinking something around the £200 mark? can get some mavic aksiums for 175 on merlin, but was also thinking some fulcrum racing 5's as around same price but a bit lighter...

any thoughts, experiences with this and these, or any advice would be much appreciated! Sorry for the novel to explaine this!

Comments

• caedev
    caedev Posts: 81
    I upgraded the wheels on my allez last year to Fulcrum Racing 5's and can't rate them highly enough. Noticeably easier to get up to speed and they feel a lot stiffer. They also look fantastic!

Pair them with a good set of tyres and you wont be disappointed.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Just bear in mind with the blingier low spoke count wheels, if you do break a spoke, the wheel will likely be so out of true you can't ride it home.

I only mention it because I lost a rear drive side spoke on my RS10 on Monday and I was unable to true it sufficiently at the roadside to prevent it rubbing the stays. Couldn't even wheel the bike. And finding a replacement spoke has been a bit of an ordeal.

Next wheelset will be handbuilts with a lot more, freely available spokes.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    A little bit of budget creep but Fulcrum Quattros are excellent at £225. I've rode mine through all kinds of bad weather and have generally treated them badly and they refuse to stop working.

P
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Got to 240 quid and grab some Campag Zondas. Great all rounders (yes, I know, all wheels should be round! :roll: )

Try Wiggle.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • thanks for the help guys but think im gonna go with the fulcrums
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Another vote for the Zondas, Fulcrums and Zondas are both made by Campag.