New to cycling. What can i do?

Archer2552
Archer2552 Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
So, I just bought my first bike. That being a bike that is outside the Xmart bikes i had as a kid. I bought a Schwinn Super Sport 3http://www.schwinnbikes.com/int/bikes/hybrid/super-sport-3-mens#/specs. I bought it with the idea to get around the city and my university while also riding for exercise all at a low price. Now that i have and it for a while i have gotten really into cycling and wish to to more with the bike i have.

Now the question is, "What can i do, if anything at all, to upgrade my bike to make it better or to improve it to get better performance for commuting and exercise or should i get a different bike entirely?"

Any advice/criticism is welcome.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    if you want a road bike, look for secondhand

you'll get get far better value than buying new
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Archer2552 wrote:
    Now the question is, "What can i do, if anything at all, to upgrade my bike to make it better or to improve it to get better performance for commuting and exercise or should i get a different bike entirely?"
    =============================================
    For commuting and exercise, I wouldn't do any 'upgrades'. Only changes might be to change the saddle if it is uncomfortable on long rides, and get some toe-clips and straps for the pedals. The clips and straps don't have to be tight, even somewhat loose and with regular shoes they help keep your feet secure on the pedals.
    Water bottle cage(s) and small bag for carrying tools, pump, spare inner tube, and some cycling shorts, and cycling gloves for comfort.
    Regular short can work ok, but make SURE they don't have a big rough seam running down the midde - a 'flat seam' as on dress pants is usually ok.

That bike will be fine for general recreational, commute, and exercise riding. It will work ok for 100 mile sportive , Gran Fondo, or light touring.
    It WILL be a disadvantage (a lot more exercise...) if you ride with fast 'racers' who are on high performance road bikes.

If you want to do high performance riding, then a bike designed for that would be best.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA