Power2Max PM and Rotor Cranks

dw300
dw300 Posts: 1,642
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Ok, I'm looking at a P2M power meter, and I figure either go cheap or go the whole hog.

So I'm looking at the Classic PM with Rotor 3D cranks at £920 or the Type S with Rotor 3D+ at £1200 (plus Rotor installation tool, 52x36 chainrings and bolts, and 2 x BSA steel BBs with each.)

First up I just want to know if my GXP/MegaExo threaded frames will take the BSA30 BB?

Next, aside from weight, the battery LED and the better aero chainring compatibility, will i miss much going the budget route?

I can't see me buying aero chainrings in the near future, the weight isnt a big deal as I have a 6.0kg bike including 45mm rims. The battery LED isnt an issue as low battery is usually accompanied by funky readings, and changing regularly solves the problem anyway.

Would I be right in saying that even buying the classic version that the PM has the temperature fix included?

Thanks in advance. Been searching on my breaks and cant find all the answers I need.
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

Comments

• ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    Rotor 3D has 24mm spindle,and 3D+ 30mm.So if I'm right you can only put Rotor 3D on your bike.
  • dw300
    ivanoile wrote:
    Rotor 3D has 24mm spindle,and 3D+ 30mm.So if I'm right you can only put Rotor 3D on your bike.

Well that simplifies things, thanks!

Any opinions on whether the Type S is a good upgrade as far as accuracy and reliability go?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • mulletmaster
    mulletmaster Posts: 502
    It'll be identical accuracy and since the first generation temp fixes I have heard of no reliability complaints.
  • markynulty
    markynulty Posts: 409
    My type s arrived last Friday. Its the 110bcd version to fit on my rotor 3d crank and 53/39 QXL.

Took less than 15mins to fit it and it really is a very compact unit.

It is my first power meter, so I cant compare it with anything, but I am very impressed with it up to now.
  • dw300
    dw300 wrote:
    ivanoile wrote:

Any opinions on whether the Type S is a good upgrade as far as accuracy and reliability go?

Hang on ..

http://www.rotoruk.co.uk/btmbrackets/bsa-30.php

So I can use a 30mm spindle in a standard English threaded frame?

Im guessing it must be the case as there is no option to buy a 24mm BB for Rotor cranks.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    http://rotorbike.com/media/files/2012/12/rotor_1212849688.pdf

Here is the PDF from Rotor,maybe it will help more.
    It seems that you can put 30mm spindle on your bike :oops:
  • dw300
    ivanoile wrote:
    http://rotorbike.com/media/files/2012/12/rotor_1212849688.pdf

Here is the PDF from Rotor,maybe it will help more.
    It seems that you can put 30mm spindle on your bike :oops:

Nice chart, good to know.

Thanks ivanoile.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    dw300 wrote:
    dw300 wrote:
    ivanoile wrote:

Hang on ..

http://www.rotoruk.co.uk/btmbrackets/bsa-30.php

So I can use a 30mm spindle in a standard English threaded frame?

Im guessing it must be the case as there is no option to buy a 24mm BB for Rotor cranks.

There is a 24mm rotor bb - it takes shimano hollowtech cranks as well as the 3D. The unfortunate thing with putting the 3D+ in a threaded BB shell is Rotors 4130 adapter BB is £45. A little steep compared to ultegra which can be had for £13. Anyone know of alternative BBs to the 4130 that allow 3D+ installed into a threaded shell? SRAM?
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    ...i got the wrong code - 4130 is their pressfit converter for a 30mm axle. the BSA30 is for threaded bb shells and allows for a 30mm axle to be installed.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Why are you looking at the 3D+ when the 3D will do? It isn't any stiffer than the 3D and the weight difference is negligible especially when compared to the price difference and the cost of a BB converter. All P2M PM's have the updated firmware so that isn't an issue either.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg