garmin watch

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
hi guys and girls.

I'm thinking of buying a garmin watch as my iphone doesn't seem to track that accurately.

I've seen the forerunner10 for £75, is this any good?

Comments

• Hi ive got the forerunner 110 and works fine for me, sometimes i dont think the top speed is accurate but that could be because its on my wrist and may record the speed i move my arm.
    It usually takes around 1-3mins to lock on and then away i go.
    info wise is great plug into computer and then tells you all sorts and shows a great map

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/481209178

one short ride i did and recorded

hope this helps
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I've got the foretrex 301, use it for work to help navigate, doubles nicely for tracking rides and can even download routes on to it for a little guidance.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My Forerunner 410 was about £110 (Amazon).

More features than the lower models, so decent value if you need them. If you don't actually need the watch maybe just get a GPS tracker and chuck it in your backpack.
  • welshkev
    mcnultycop wrote:

More features than the lower models, so decent value if you need them. If you don't actually need the watch maybe just get a GPS tracker and chuck it in your backpack.

£110 isn't too bad. I like the idea of a watch as 1. I need a watch :lol: and 2. I like the way you can stop and start it without having to fumble around in your back pack.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The thing to watch for on GPS for mountain biking is how often it updates your position. My edge 500 is set to update every second so is accurate enough even on more winding trails. Other devices update a lot less frequently so smooth out corners making them a lot less accurate. On road you wouldn't notice this as much.

My edge 500 is just attached to the bike stem, unclips when you turn it and comes with two bike mounts.
  • welshkev
    Kajjal wrote:
    The thing to watch for on GPS for mountain biking is how often it updates your position. My edge 500 is set to update every second so is accurate enough even on more winding trails. Other devices update a lot less frequently so smooth out corners making them a lot less accurate. On road you wouldn't notice this as much.

My edge 500 is just attached to the bike stem, unclips when you turn it and comes with two bike mounts.

that's good to know about the update thing.

the thing with stem mounted ones is 1. I only run a 50mm stem and 2. I fall off....a lot!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    welshkev wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:

£110 isn't too bad. I like the idea of a watch as 1. I need a watch :lol: and 2. I like the way you can stop and start it without having to fumble around in your back pack.

Don't like the idea of having to charge my watch every night as well.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    They're a bit bulky as an everyday watch! But they work well once you get used to the settings. You can mount them on your bars - just cut a piece of pipe lagging, put on your bars and strap the watch on. Completely solid and much cheaper than the silly bar mounts they sell.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I had the edge 200 which decided it didn't want to work anymore so I replaced it with a forerunner 10 watch. These are for running and this is clear when you are using it compared to a Edge.

For me however, I find the watch better. I can tell the time when riding (not an option on the edge 200) and when I upload to Strava I have had no issues or loss of signal while riding. With the edge on the handle bars I would keep looking at it to see how I'm doing but with it on my wrist I forget about it till I get home and just enjoy the ride.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    welshkev wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

that's good to know about the update thing.

the thing with stem mounted ones is 1. I only run a 50mm stem and 2. I fall off....a lot!

You can mount it on places other than the stem for example the handlebars. Alternatively you can get plenty of garmin mounts now which either fit as a top cap/spacer or more securely around the handlebar and so forth.

Mate has a Garmin watch and as much as it's nice for tracking where you been, it doesn't even compare to the Edge 800 for all round use of tracking/map routes etc.

I wouldn't worry about falling off your bike, they're bloody durable units (edges and the forerunners)