Which road tire set?

gigeorge
gigeorge Posts: 20
edited July 2014 in Workshop
So i've got conti gp 4k ii's on the bike -wonderful sticky and good in the wet but THE worst sidewalls - pinching occasionally and have had 4 punctures in the last 200 miles compared to 2000 with non on the old cheapy vitorrias - i know chance has a lot to do with this but its getting a bit beyond it being chance now and having friends say the sidewalls on the gp's are useless for people at my weight (15 stone).

What other 23mm 700 c tires are there that grip as well in the wet yet have little roll resistance but high puncture resistance and strong sidewalls?

Cheers

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    There must be something wrong with the tyres or how they're fitted if you've had 4 punctures in the last 200 miles. That said, I moved from GP4000S to Michelin Pro4 Service Course - much the same tyre in terms of grip, puncture resistance and performance and a good alternative.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • gigeorge
    gigeorge Posts: 20
    drlodge wrote:
    There must be something wrong with the tyres or how they're fitted if you've had 4 punctures in the last 200 miles. That said, I moved from GP4000S to Michelin Pro4 Service Course - much the same tyre in terms of grip, puncture resistance and performance and a good alternative.

No, fit is fine. Seems to be bits of flint / or pinches, running at 120 psi..
  • gigeorge wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

No, fit is fine. Seems to be bits of flint / or pinches, running at 120 psi..

Flint will puncture pretty much any tyres except horrible things like Gatorskins and the like. I use GP4ks mostly and I weigh over 17 stone with no problems. The only diff is mine are 25mm which I run at 115R and 100F - maybe the wider tyre might work for you in terms of pinches BUT not flints! I tried Pro4 Endurance over the winter and I reckon they are a bit harder wearing than GP4ks with just a little loss of suppleness. Fraid if you are riding flint strewn roads though you have to choose between the pleasure of riding light race type - or - opt for heavy duty puncture resistant tyres - its a continuum and where you find your compromise position is very personal.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    If you're having problems with pinch flats, then try latex inner tubes: they are less prone to them.

Oh, and stop riding through pot holes, too ;)
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I weight about 15 st 7 and have no problems with punctures running 4 seasons tyres at 105 psi front / rear.

If it keeps pinching either your rims have a defect, the tyres are not fitting properly or you are riding over some very rough roads. The only pinch puncture I got was clattering through a pot hole at high speed. Another thing to watch out for is before each longer ride check your tyre pressure as it can soon drop for heavier riders.