which narrow-wide chainring - does it really matter??

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
As I'm spending my injury time planning bike upgrades - and hence probably boring the forum with questions :lol: :oops: - I'm thinking about which narrow-wide ring to use if I do go 1 by 10.

They all get pretty good reviews, and seem to be a similar weight. Is there really any difference between them? The race face ones get rave reviews, but so too do the Hope ones, and I'd prefer to buy Hope if there is no noticable difference between them.
Cheers 8)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Superstar - why pay more?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ferrals
    :because I've been selling loads of stuff on ebay and am developing a magpie like love of shiny things :lol:
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Absolute Black if you want something a bit different

http://www.absoluteblack.cc/xx1-style-shimano.html

28t 64/104 BCD
    10303872_883151131700081_5513412855233266364_n.jpg
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:

from what I heard the anodising doesn't last very long otherwise yes
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    When does it?

Especially on a NW as by definition there is more chain contact.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    POAH wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

The anodising on my new raceface ring is starting to wear off after less than 50miles... It's a chainring no matter brand it is the anodising is gonna come off the teeth.
  • poah
    lawman wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

The anodising on my new raceface ring is starting to wear off after less than 50miles... It's a chainring no matter brand it is the anodising is gonna come off the teeth.

thats pretty poor actually, what colour
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    There are differing designs too, the RaceFace one has narrow wide teeth but a pretty standard looking shape apart from that, I have a Blackspire one which has extended teeth and different shape ramps either side (like the Sram version).
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • lawman
    POAH wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

thats pretty poor actually, what colour

Black. It's not major but you can tell it's been used. They all wear off eventually so I'm not bothered!
  • poah
    lawman wrote:

Black. It's not major but you can tell it's been used. They all wear off eventually so I'm not bothered!

mine is black too will have to check it out
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    POAH wrote:
    lawman wrote:

mine is black too will have to check it out

70% of the chainring is covered by the chain so you dont notice and even if you do......so what? Its a mountain bike not a collectors edition figure in original packaging!

Most of the narrow wide riders I have seen have raceface. Plenty of 1x10 riders out here still rock chain devices and bashguards.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • poah
    don't expect it to be worn after 50 miles though
  • lawman
    POAH wrote:
    don't expect it to be worn after 50 miles though

Some of the colour's slightly lighter on the wide teeth, big deal? I'm not bothered. As Paul said it's a chainring the teeth are gonna lose abit of their colour over time and most of the time you can't see it.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    The Rookie wrote:
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have both the Raceface one and a Works Components, the WC is much better and cheaper, clears mud better than the RF which just hold the dirt in wet conditions and ends up very noisy as the chain grinds awat against it, I wouldn't buy another RF one again. As for the anodising wearing off, seriously? it's a MTB part with metal to metal contact what would you expect!
  • Ferrals
    Cheers all, interesting food for thought. Hadn't thoguht of Blackspire but the dirt review does make them sound like they have the edge
  • poah
    WindyG wrote:
    As for the anodising wearing off, seriously? it's a MTB part with metal to metal contact what would you expect!

who said it wouldn't?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Absolute Black if you want something a bit different

28t 64/104 BCD
    10303872_883151131700081_5513412855233266364_n.jpg
    Heavy!

My E13 32T is 26g.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That covers two BCDs though!
  • Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    I have a raceface and a superstar. The anodising is coming off both at about the same rate. Not used the superstar in anger but the raceface has been flawless on some very rocky descents. Very impressed with it.