Bike fit doubts.

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
So I went and purchased a 2014 Trek Madone 2.3, but I'm having doubts about its size. It's way past it return date now, and after riding it a few times, i've since developed an injury in the lower back. I'm around 6ft tall, with a 32 inside leg. I purchased a 58 inch sized frame, as that's what I was recommended. I will admit, that when I purchased the bike, I was not fitted because they didn't offer it. I'll be getting a fit soon, hopefully easing the pain on my back which has become very painful at times.

Does anyone else ride this bike with similar dimensions to myself, ride a 58inch frame?

Thank you.

Comments

• MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    So I went and purchased a 2014 Trek Madone 2.3, but I'm having doubts about its size. It's way past it return date now, and after riding it a few times, i've since developed an injury in the lower back. I'm around 6ft tall, with a 32 inside leg. I purchased a 58 inch sized frame, as that's what I was recommended. I will admit, that when I purchased the bike, I was not fitted because they didn't offer it. I'll be getting a fit soon, hopefully easing the pain on my back which has become very painful at times.

Does anyone else ride this bike with similar dimensions to myself, ride a 58inch frame?

Thank you.

Difficult to answer as we don't know enough about your physique and aren't expert bike fitters. Stump up for a bike fit and they will tell you / help you get a fit that works for you. Plenty of things can be changed such as stem length, cleat positioning, bar angle, seat height etc. I'd be surprised if the frame can't be made to fit you but the changes you'll need could be very subtle in places and major in others. One way to find out!

I can recommend this guy... did amazing things for my ride. Great bloke too.

http://www.thebikewhisperer.co.uk/services/bike-fitting/
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    It has less to do with your inside leg and more to do with your reach. Most bike frame sizes go by their relative top tube length; the horizontal distance from the centre of the head tube to the centre of the seat tube. Your bike obviously has a 58cm relative top tube if that is how the manufacturer sizes their frames. Bike shops going by stand over height for size estimates are selling buyers potentially the wrong size bike.

There's so much to setting your bike up for you properly, but assuming your seat is in the correct position for leg angles and KOPS, when you're sitting on the bike with your hands on the hoods, as a rough guide the bars should cover the front wheel hub centre when you look down at it. If you can see it in front of the bars, it might suggest the frame is too big or the stem is too long. If it is ahead of the bars when you look down, you need a longer stem.

Go somewhere for a proper fitting, but before you do and possibly waste money on a fitting for a bike that is too big anyway, I'd suggest going to a dealer to try a 56 frame of the same model and see how that feels when you're on it. If it feels better, it's a good indication of where you go next. If your existing frame is too big, playing with stem lengths might solve your problems less expensively.

You might have an iPhone and if so, consider downloading Fast Bike Fit from the App Store. A version for Android is due too.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/10/auto ... eview.html
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm only 5' 8.5" but similar inseam as you, and I ride a 54cm. But as above, its the "reach" that's more important as the top tube length cannot be adjusted, only small changes in stem length.

It might be you need a big frame as you have a long torso, but then you'd have the saddle quite low in the frame.

Go somewhere for a proper fitting.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    If you can post some pictures of you sat on the bike in a riding position, people might be able to advise on fit.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    philthy3 wrote:
    ...as a rough guide the bars should cover the front wheel hub centre when you look down at it. If you can see it in front of the bars, it might suggest the frame is too big or the stem is too long. If it is ahead of the bars when you look down, you need a longer stem.
    Would just like to point out your contradictory advice ;-)
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    i've since developed an injury in the lower back.
    ===========================
    Does the injury seem to be due to having to lean too far forward to reach the bars?
    Or due to sitting too upright?
    Also, does easy stretching of your back and torso make it feel better or worse?
    Where do you usually place your hands on the bars while riding?

A rough 'rule of thumb' is to have the bars just slightly lower than the saddle. And with your elbow on the front of the saddle, your fingers should reach the bars.
    Is that your situation?

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Me-109 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    ...as a rough guide the bars should cover the front wheel hub centre when you look down at it. If you can see it in front of the bars, it might suggest the frame is too big or the stem is too long. If it is ahead of the bars when you look down, you need a longer stem.
    Would just like to point out your contradictory advice ;-)

It was meant in front as in nearer to you, but I can see it doesn't read very well.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I'd agree broadly with these comments from Cycling Weekly:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/fitness/ ... bike-32094

58cm sounds like approximately the correct size for a 6 foot person, like others have said it depends on reach and leg length. See my extremely basic guide to bike fitting here: http://audaxing.wordpress.com/2011/03/0 ... -fit-tips/
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Too big. 56 should be about right although I'm the same size as you and need a 54.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Suggest the OP also tries a regime of core strength and flexibility exercises (e.g. Core Advantage - Tom Danielson) - it could simply be an increase in mileage or a slight change in position rather than the frame per se. Try online bike fit calculator too e.g. Competitive Cyclist
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I'm only 5'8" and 29 inside leg and have an Audax bike with 57cm frame. I have a short adjustable upright stem and my saddle moved forward. It's now very comfortable to ride although its a fairly upright riding position. So it should be possible to adjust yours to fit.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I'm only 5'8" and 29 inside leg and have an Audax bike with 57cm frame. I have a short adjustable upright stem and my saddle moved forward. It's now very comfortable to ride although its a fairly upright riding position. So it should be possible to adjust yours to fit.

No one should compromise on fit to such an extent.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Grill wrote:

This is my problem with a bike fit though.

To me its a case of "which came first? the chicken or the egg?"

Once you've bought a bike all a bike fit can do it fit you best to it. I'm not saying the OP has the wrong sized frame or not but if he does then there is no a lot a fitter can do. All they can really adjust is the saddle height, how far forward/backward the saddle is, the stem length, stem height (inc spacers and flipping it) and possibly the handlebar angles. They might recommend new parts (saddle, stem or bars).

I think as someone else said, the riders core strength could be an issue. I've only been riding 20 months. For the first year or so my left hand would go numb after about an hour of riding. This was after having a bike fit. Now my core has improved and my overall riding style has gotten smoother (not saying it is great) I no longer have this issue.

Before getting a bike fit, if I were the OP I'd try a few simply things myself:
    - flipping the stem
    - adjusting the number of spacers under the stem
    - moving the saddle both up/down and forward/backward

If you adjust one thing at a time and have a few rides you might be able to get an idea as to how it affects your ride.
  • TerryCTR
    TerryCTR Posts: 143
    I'm very slightly over 6ft and take a 34 leg and I was fitted for a 58 frame last weekend after they initially looked at a 56 I was apparently right on the threshold for the 58
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    I would say it takes a lot of trial and error, and patience. My ex-LBS pushed me into buying a 57.5mm effective top tube Giant (size L). The seat was as far forward as possible, I fitted a 70mm stem, slammed the bars, and it was still too large. It turned out I needed a size M, two sizes down. My new frame is 54.5mm effective, and should be spot on. I am a shade over 180cm, with an 86cm inside leg. So, I would say a lot of it is individual.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • rattyc5
    rattyc5 Posts: 84
    I am 6 foot 1 and have a trek 1.5 at 56.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Grill wrote:

Maybe not, but I had to make the best of it, and now it's a really comfortable ride. I still use it a lot all year round despite having a carbon road bike which fits me better, but not as comfortable for long rides.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    So I went and purchased a 2014 Trek Madone 2.3, but I'm having doubts about its size. It's way past it return date now, and after riding it a few times, i've since developed an injury in the lower back. I'm around 6ft tall, with a 32 inside leg. I purchased a 58 inch sized frame, as that's what I was recommended.

ok long bust and short legs, that is a big frame for you even with your bust. I would have said a 56cm would be more appropriate but even that is big compared to your leg length - luckily the sloping top tube will mean you'll still have a bit of seat-pin showing. If you really do have 32 inch inseams the saddle must be almost down on the frame.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme