Navigation?

TinyMac
TinyMac Posts: 19
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
I'm new to road cycling, and geography has never been my strong point, I live in a fairly rural area where every turn looks the same, more fields etc!

I look at Strava at home, plan a route in my head, then completely forget it when I'm out. Is there a way I can use strava like a Satnav if I buy some sort of bar mount for my iPhone? Or do I need to buy a separate bit of kit? Is there such a thing as satnav for bikes or do I just need to concentrate more? I think if I had a set route I'd more likely stick to it rather than choosing turn by turn based on how busy things look, whether I can be bothered to unclip or not and how hilly a certain direction looks!

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    In the olden days we used to get by with maps...

Lots of software for your phone and bar mount options and dedicated hardware. Especially in your own back yard just have an explore, start building up the mileage and learn to find your way home.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    I have lived in a few rural areas in the past few years and it can be easy to get lost if you don't know your way. I find it helps if you get to know one particular loop or route. Then add different strands to it over time, you will soon build up a big "database" of routes in your head.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    if it's unknown territory i either carry a map or make route notes on a bit of paper and stick it on the top tube or in back pocket (use pencil or waterproof ink!)

getting lost can be fun, you find new roads and unless you're in the deep sticks there'll usually be someone to point you in the right direction

if you carry a smartphone you can always use it as a bail-out method of finding out how to get back onto the route or find the best way home

the basics of navigation by sun, remembering wind direction or distant tall things, town names etc. can all help keep an idea at least of which direction you are heading in
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    There is an app called Track Navigator.

Give it a go. I use it and it is good (if your battery lasts).
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Search through all the threads on the various devices and pros and cons for using a mobile phone as your navigation device. If you're doing long rides get a dedicated device. Your phone battery will run down and when you need it in an emergency, you won't be able to.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    You can get a Garmin 200 device for not much money (£69 @ Asda), it will show a breadcrumb trail to aid your navigation.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I started out taking an OS map with me on my rides, but now you can print out relevant bits to your area using the Bing Maps (they have an option to display in OS map across the UK) which takes up much less space in a pocket.

I used Google maps for a short while when I got a smart phone, which was useful (but lacked the 'fun' of a printed map) and now use breadcrumb navigation with and edge 500 if I have a basic idea where I'm going.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    I started out taking an OS map with me on my rides, but now you can print out relevant bits to your area using the Bing Maps (they have an option to display in OS map across the UK) which takes up much less space in a pocket.

Exactly what I was about to say!! Did a 64mile route last week including roads I've never been on before and a couple of villages I've never been to before. Printed out some OS pages from Bing maps, plotted my route with a red pen and away I went. Got a bit lost at one point (due to no road signs at a junction and me believing I was right, rather than checking the map) but it didn't matter - when I realised I was heading in the wrong direction I got the map out and just took a few turns to get back to where I should have been. Took me up a nice 7.5%er that wasn't supposed to be on my route!! :wink:
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • TinyMac
    Sorry perhaps I wasn't clear. I am after advice on whether I should use my phone or buy a garmin or similar type device.

I know the idea of just going wherever the breeze takes you might appeal to some but for me it does not, I need thought-out plans! I always seem to end up on a ridiculously busy road (which is the way I would drive somewhere) because I don't know the quiet way somewhere. Also I don't have time to just 'see where the ride takes me'. I am often squeezing in a ride in a set time gap between work/schoolrun/kids activities etc so it's just not an option to go out and get lost, I know I'll eventually end up home again but it's no use if i'm then late to pick kids up!

I want to be able to plan a route that is say 25 miles, or will take approx. 1hr30 and be able to follow that knowing I'll have enough time to get on with the rest of my day without worrying about getting back in time!

I'm not fussed about having HR/Cadence sensors etc, would just like a route set out to follow :D any advice welcome!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Garmin 800 or above is your answer then...smartphones can do what you want but they're really not designed for it and are a compromise.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    yep, garmin

smartphones aren't very power efficient, they're also bulkier, more fragile and generally not weatherproof

if it's for regular use, then for mounting on the bars with uninterrupted viewing, a proper gps device designed for use on a bike is far better
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • TinyMac
    thanks, have just come across the garmin touring, seems cheaper than the 800 but seems to do the same? anyone had any experience with either?
  • pandazoo
    pandazoo Posts: 95
    Touring. Great for uploading a route and riding it from a site like ride with gps. The navigation feature if you let it do it's own (route) thing can be hit and miss. I use mine on most rides and can't fault it.

TinyMac wrote:
    thanks, have just come across the garmin touring, seems cheaper than the 800 but seems to do the same? anyone had any experience with either?
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    Buy an 800
    Don't buy maps
    Download them for free from the internet
    Simples.

There are lots of differences.
    http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmi ... chart.html
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I don't have a smart-phone but did want sat-nav type guidance for the bike so I went for the Garmin Touring Plus. (The plus means it works with a HRM; I quite like being able to see / record HR) Quite impressed with it so far.

I particularly like the round trip routing suggestions. Tell it where you're starting from, select a distance, and it suggests 3 routes which you can compare on the map and look at their elevation profiles. Pick the one you like the look of and off you go. So far it's routing choices have been spot on; no major roads, and only once has it tried to send me down a footpath. Can't hold that against it; my TomTom wanted me to drive across a field a while ago.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    There's no such thing as 'getting lost' - think of it as 'exploring' :wink:
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    drlodge wrote:
    You can get a Garmin 200 device for not much money (£69 @ Asda), it will show a breadcrumb trail to aid your navigation.
    I use this and it does a job if you spend the time pre ride to sort a route out.