Hybrid bike with road bars?

TinyMac
TinyMac Posts: 19
edited July 2014 in Commuting general
Hi folks I'm after some advice... I ride a Trek Lexa SL 2015 usually but am looking for something a bit more casual for nipping in to town, family rides (6yr old son never gonna keep up with the trek and riding it slowly is not fun/comfortable!), pub lunch rides etc - not all lycra clad flat out runs!

I want something I can comfortably lock up outside a shop/pub and not worry people are fiddling with etc. I know there are lots of hybrids out there but here is my problem, I have a bad back which surprisingly is quite comfortable in a drop bar position, sit up and beg bikes are awful for me. So here it is, is there such a thing as a hybrid bike with road bike handlebars that could achieve a similar riding position however with a more comfortable, slower paced style of riding in mind?

Or is it possible to just buy a cheap hybrid and change bars? Or a cheap road bike and change tyres/seat etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    General wisdom is that putting drops on a hybrid isn't worth the effort (messing with changing to brifter etc) and doesn't give you the same riding position as a road bike due to the longer top tube.

There are road bikes with more relaxed geometry, then tend to be known as sportive/sportif or endurance bikes. Or touring bikes should have be suitable for slower paced riding and comfort.
  • TinyMac
    TinyMac Posts: 19
    ok thanks will do some digging!
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Halfords are knocking out TdF for £270
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Also consider a cyclo-cross bike which is a road bike with knobbly tyres (basically)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Cyclocross - The thinking person's Hybrid.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Also consider a cyclo-cross bike which is a road bike with knobbly tyres (basically)
    I'll agree with that. A hybrid with drops is a cross bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, most Hybrids top tubes are a lot longer and so they plain just don't work with drops!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.