which carbon brake pads, mavic carbon ultimates

oldredpinarello
oldredpinarello Posts: 101
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi, I bought a second hand pair of magic cosmic ultimates and I'm really struggling to find out which pads to use. The guy before me had swisstop yellow pads, and they seem to be fine. But my lbs is recommending the magic exialth pads, and don't have swisstop yellow pads in stock. My lbs are clowns in all honesty, but they are the sole stockist of mavic in norway, which is why I am asking here before I ruin my wheels.

Cheers all

Comments

• Hoping for some more mavic specific advice. Had seen that thread. I know only certain pads are approved by magic but I'm struggling to find details. Any help guys?
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    Do not use the Exalith pads, they are the wrong compound and may damage the rim. Read this post:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 4#p1042510

Then buy the SwissStop Yellows
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    As itsnotarace says, pads designed to brake on super hard Exalith ceramic coating are the worst possible pads to use for super soft carbon fibre composite. You need a carbon specific pad... the blue ones from Reynolds or the yellow ones from Swisstop get good reviews
    left the forum March 2023
  • Mike Cotty
    Mike Cotty Posts: 57
    Hi, I bought a second hand pair of magic cosmic ultimates and I'm really struggling to find out which pads to use. The guy before me had swisstop yellow pads, and they seem to be fine. But my lbs is recommending the magic exialth pads, and don't have swisstop yellow pads in stock. My lbs are clowns in all honesty, but they are the sole stockist of mavic in norway, which is why I am asking here before I ruin my wheels.

Cheers all

For the Cosmic Carbone Ultimate and all other Mavic carbon rims you should use the SwissStop Yellow King pad. This is the pad that has been tested and approved by Mavic.

You should absolutley NOT use the Exalith brake pads. These have been specifically designed to be used with Exalith treated rims only.

Hope that helps. Ride safe and enjoy!

Mike Cotty
    Mavic Community Manager
  • that was my conclusion, and further evidence that the bike shop here are useless! I have had no end of imaginative advice from them. I will have to source some recommended yellow pads from the UK when I next can. Thanks all so much for the help and advice!