North west hills

Pedro2014
Pedro2014 Posts: 15
Anyone got any good routes with a decent bit of climbing in. I'm currently doing parbold rivington pike billinge hill any others I'm missing?

Comments

• bugsrabbit
    bugsrabbit Posts: 182
    Try ashurst, bottom of parbold hill, over the bridge and turn left.
  • hostman
    hostman Posts: 104
    Have you been up to the mast of Winter Hill?

A route I often throw in to a ride is to turn on to Claypool Rd from Chorley New Road (by the bee hive roundabout if you know it), follow this up to New Chapel Lane, then up to Chorley Old Road, turn right on to Chorley Old Road, then immediately left on to George's Lane, follow this for a bit, take in the views and then turn right on to this road: http://goo.gl/53FV6R

I've done this on a loop a few times, the legs didn't agree!

I did the route bugsrabbit has suggested a few weekends ago, it is quite a nice route, not as extreme as Parbold hill itself, but still pretty decent.

Another possibility is Haigh Hall from the Wigan town centre entrance, all the way up to the entrance / exit in Aspull, did this once after completing the route bugsrabbit suggested, was tough!
  • Pedro2014
    hostman wrote:

A route I often throw in to a ride is to turn on to Claypool Rd from Chorley New Road (by the bee hive roundabout if you know it), follow this up to New Chapel Lane, then up to Chorley Old Road, turn right on to Chorley Old Road, then immediately left on to George's Lane, follow this for a bit, take in the views and then turn right on to this road: http://goo.gl/53FV6R

I did the route bugsrabbit has suggested a few weekends ago, it is quite a nice route, not as extreme as Parbold hill itself, but still pretty decent.

Another possibility is Haigh Hall from the Wigan town centre entrance, all the way up to the entrance / exit in Aspull, did this once after completing the route bugsrabbit suggested, was tough!

Yeah I've been along that George's lane I came up foxholes and marklands. Is there a road to the actual mast itself because it turns to a rough track before the summit.
  • Pedro2014
    bugsrabbit wrote:
    Try ashurst, bottom of parbold hill, over the bridge and turn left.

I'll add that to the hills run ;-)
  • hostman
    Pedro2014 wrote:

Yeah I've been along that George's lane I came up foxholes and marklands. Is there a road to the actual mast itself because it turns to a rough track before the summit.

Did you go as far as the cattle grid near the top?
  • Pedro2014
    Can't remember a cattle grid, I turned left at the top of foxholes/marklands and headed as far as I dared on rough terrain without destroying my wheels.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Some good hills around frodsham and helsby. Otherwise towards cat and fiddle, macc, out to peaks etc
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,546
    Moor Rd in anglezarke if it's not already on your Rivington route - it's been a while since I've ridden it but this is part of the route I used to take to Rivington (adjusted a bit to remove the off road sections, I never owned a road bike until I moved down south). The bit up from the reservoir is pretty steep, watch out for the hairpin at the bottom as you come down the other side.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/53.68 ... m0!1m0!3e0
  • JohnW52
    JohnW52 Posts: 34
    Was up there only yesterday afternoon, only doing it from the south (although I have done it from the north a couple of times). Coming up the 20% section just after the hairpin is fairly tough and going down it a bit hairy.
  • Pedro2014
    Coming down hard knott and wrynose pass gets hairy!
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    Pedro2014 wrote:
    hostman wrote:

Yes, Its off Georges lane and if i remember rightly its a narrow turning in between a couple of houses.

Get yourself over Oldham way and into Saddleworth, or from your end over towards Bury, Edgworth etc.
  • Pedro2014
    Graham K wrote:
    Pedro2014 wrote:
    hostman wrote:

Yes, Its off Georges lane and if i remember rightly its a narrow turning in between a couple of houses.

Get yourself over Oldham way and into Saddleworth, or from your end over towards Bury, Edgworth etc.

I'm based in melling Liverpool, I'm not against a swift drive for a good hilly route though. I normally do about 60-70 miles with as much climbing as the legs will take
  • hostman
    Pedro2014 wrote:
    Can't remember a cattle grid, I turned left at the top of foxholes/marklands and headed as far as I dared on rough terrain without destroying my wheels.

Turn right and then left inbetween the houses, will take you further up.

Went up there this evening, been a few months since I went up, they have improved the road surface a little, it's no longer extremely dangerous when descending!