Giro Rosa

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,661
edited July 2014 in Pro race
...has been forgotten about us a bit what with some race in Yorkshire but come on, step up, we re all modern men (hat tip to the girls) and we care about women's cycling

No surprise who'e winning after 2 stages...
Br9FH1ACYAAwqTH.jpg
...after a short attack on Stage 1 and the subsequent Bonnifications.

But a win from an 80km breakaway on a mountain stage put's Anna van Vleuten into Pink

Br8yc7VCcAIVxfw.jpg
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    It hasnt been forgotten as I have a thread on it which no one really cares about but im glad you are interested!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    oh sorry, I did look but obviously not well enough...
    - @ddraver
  • Stridor
    Stridor Posts: 48
    I try, I really, really try to like Women's Cycling, but it's just not working for me. I don't know quite how it's happened but I've developed an irrational dislike for Marianne Vos. I just can't see myself enjoying it until she retires, and that's gonna be a while....

I follow the races, I follow on twitter, I read the websites but it's just killing me...and as soon as I hear or see her (which is most of the time) I just switch off.....

Completely irrational I know but there you are...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Stridor wrote:
    I try, I really, really try to like Women's Cycling, but it's just not working for me. I don't know quite how it's happened but I've developed an irrational dislike for Marianne Vos. I just can't see myself enjoying it until she retires, and that's gonna be a while....

I follow the races, I follow on twitter, I read the websites but it's just killing me...and as soon as I hear or see her (which is most of the time) I just switch off.....

Domination in any sport tends to do that, hard to dislike Vos though IMHO.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Pross wrote:
    Stridor wrote:

Word. She is the absolute bollocks.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Stridor wrote:

ddraver is like totes in love with her.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    I wish the UCI would give the girls some decent routes to go over. It's not great when the various European granfondos typically offer female entrants a tougher route than most pro races. The pros deserve better.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Stridor wrote:

ddraver is like totes in love with her.

Oh, yes, I remember this thread. And yes, I was and still am jealous.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Just looking at the route and it maxes out at something like 1200m, with barely a mountain in sight. For a country with such natural gifts as Italy has in that regard it's a really poor route. Really sad.

I mean the other year Emma Pooley did the Swissman ironman event, which had a 180km ride over three 2000m+ climbs sandwhiched in between a swim and a marathon up another 2000m mountain. Just goes to show what's possible.

Cmon UCI, pull your finger out!
  • ddraver
    edited July 2014
    Well they re limited to 150km which at first glance suggests that they re living in the era of "women can't ride bicycles as the saddles will make them too excited"

However...We re constantly bleating on about having shorter mens races to make stages more exciting, and given that the majority of the womens peloton is made up of semi-pros or even non-pros that cant keep up on the short stages (which is a problem in itself) Is it really a bad thing?
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    DP...
    - @ddraver
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    To be fair, I'd like Marianne Vos to mother my children. They'd be the fastest, grumpiest kids ever! :)