How does a Garmin work (GPS)

Mullet52
Mullet52 Posts: 45
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
I have recently moved to a new location and dont know any of the roads. So a Garmin is needed.

Been looking at the Edge 800. But how does it work? I've seen a few which have different maps, like City Navigator, OS, Discover.

And do I put a route on to it from the computer?

Comments

• sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    i use;
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/garm ... -prod55545
    The maps on it are brilliant. I then use Strava to create my own route (if i want to visit new places etc) Then it is an easy upload onto the garmin - using the instructions on strava. Then when you are cycling 100 yards before you need to turn the map will show you where to turn. You can of course always have the maps on and put a postcode in and follow the route it tells you. It also redirects if you take a wrong turn. It is a very nice piece of kit :)
  • Mullet52
    So you make a route on strava on your computer then upload to Garmin?
  • sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    I like doing this yes. You bring up a map then click way points and then download the file onto your computer. Once you have done this you drop it in your garmin and and it comes up as a rout for you to click on. Plus it will then direct you to the start of the route (if you don't start it from your house).
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You can create your own route e.g Garmin Connect or simply download a .gpx route from a route-finding site. Garmin and Strava are doing their level best to make the two incompatible.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • johnmcl7
    johnmcl7 Posts: 162
    There are free maps available for the Edge 800 (Open Street Map, not pirated maps) which seem to work well even putting aside the fact they're free. I've loaded courses onto the device and used the off course warning rather than turn by turn navigation which seems to work fine although something to be aware of is that the display is small and low resolution plus it's resistive rather than capacitive - it looks quite basic compared to smartphones. I still think it's a good unit though and mine has generally been very reliable even though it's been through all manner of poor weather conditions.

John
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    What Johnmcl7 is pretty much spot on. Touchscreen, although resistive, is still good, better than the rubbish screens you got on the first touchscreen phones, it's easy to use even with full finger gloves.

You can either upload a route to it as others have said (I use Ridewithgps.com, Garmin Connect doesn't add elevation data to the course) or use the routing feature so it's similar to a sat nav, although it is a bit dodgy to be honest, sometimes it gives long routes which would take me on busy dual carriageways when there are much shorter routes along the lanes.
  • pandazoo
    pandazoo Posts: 95
    If you don't need advanced features or have another device to care care of HR Cad etc then have a look at the garmin touring. Create routes on ridewithgps or similar upload gpx file and ride with turn by turn nav.
  • Mullet52
    Ye all I really want it for is navigation, speed, distance, avg speed and to be able to upload routes on to it from garmin connect or ridewithgps for example.

Would the touring be fine for my needs?
  • pandazoo
    Yes it would be spot on. If you want to PM me any questions more than happy to answer. I can send you a strava / garmin file or two so you can see the uploaded data. They do the touring plus as well if you want the flexibility of adding cadence etc at a later date.

Mullet52 wrote:
    Ye all I really want it for is navigation, speed, distance, avg speed and to be able to upload routes on to it from garmin connect or ridewithgps for example.

Would the touring be fine for my needs?
  • deadhead1971
    deadhead1971 Posts: 338
    pandazoo wrote:
    They do the touring plus as well if you want the flexibility of adding cadence etc at a later date.

The Touring PLUS will let you link to a heart rate monitor, but will not show cadence data.

If you wanted mapping and the full range of performance monitoring, you'd need either the 800/810 or the edge 1000.

Thanks @RDW for posting the links to my site.
    Alan
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk

The Ultimate List of Strava Add On Sites!
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/strava-sites
  • You can also follow routes in a 500/510. The only difference is that you'll see a black line representing the route but not the map. You can still create your routes in connect/strava and upload them to the 510 and be on you way. The only reason why I would choose the 1000 or the 810 is if I needed to create routes on the fly (once on the road). If you don't see yourself doing this, go for the 510.
  • pandazoo
    Cheers Alan, my mistake no cadence just HR.

pandazoo wrote:
    They do the touring plus as well if you want the flexibility of adding cadence etc at a later date.

The Touring PLUS will let you link to a heart rate monitor, but will not show cadence data.

If you wanted mapping and the full range of performance monitoring, you'd need either the 800/810 or the edge 1000.

Thanks @RDW for posting the links to my site.