Padded shorts question

xstrathyx
xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Evening all,

Did my first decent ride yesterday and has to be said, I'm a little saddle sore today. Coming from an Mtb background had little or no need for padded shorts. Anyway I'm looking for recommendations. I'm a larger chap so probably need a sofa parked underneath.

Been looking at various and wonder what the benefits of bib are over conventional shorts.

Thoughts are much appreciated.

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Bibs stay up better than shorts, defo bibs IME. :)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Once you've tried bibs over waist shorts, you'll never go back, particularly not having that 'pinched' feeling around the middle.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The thing is, if you want the best pads then you have no choice but bibs. I have no problem with waist shorts personally, they dont pinch, dig in or fall down but they are only available at the lower end with pads which normally dont last very well so on longer rides they stop being useful before you need them. Look on Merlin at the Etxeondo shorts - the Orhi are apparently Assos quality for a lot less money but they also have cheaper options - superb value.
  • rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    Assos do padded shorts.

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • wilshawk
    wilshawk Posts: 119
    what is your saddle like, gel or foam, narrow or wide? firm or soft?
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Definately go for bibs, I wasted money on waist shorts when I started cycling but soon moved to bib shorts which are much better at staying in position.
    I went for Assos bibs, yes they are expensive but worth every penny on longer days. The other thing is a good chamois cream, I didn't bother when I started off with short rides but soon started with it!.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Decent bibs, firm saddle (not a sofa) and some chamois cream.

Oh, and no underpants either. Pad against bollox for best comfort.
  • I'd recommend bib shorts too. I got some Altura Gel shorts and they are very comfortable.
  • mousetoo
    mousetoo Posts: 53
    I've got an equal mix of bib shorts and waist shorts and prefer the waist shorts for anyhting less than about 60 miles. Have no issues with the waist shorts moving or pinching and frankly the comment above that waist shorts is are not available with a decent pad is bollox. As with everything, you get what you pay for
  • apreading
    mousetoo wrote:
    frankly the comment above that waist shorts is are not available with a decent pad is bollox. As with everything, you get what you pay for

Show me where I can get waist shorts from Castelli or Rapha for example? I just found a pair from Assos, which surprised me (I wasnt aware of it before). Most premium brands seem to offer either not do waist shorts or only offer them at the bottom of the range, certainly there is ALOT less choice.

Having said that, the above is for men - I am well aware that Castelli and others offer more options for women.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would first work out where the pain is and measure yourself properly for a saddle. I had soft tissue pain in the middle on my road bike if I rode for an hour or more and the longer I went the worse it got. After I measured myself for a saddle I realised my original saddle was far too narrow. I bought a new wider saddle with a cutaway and have had no problems since.

The shorts will help but not if your saddle is too narrow. I do road and MTBing wearing padded MTB shorts with no problems. Wearing anything beneath your padded shorts will also cause problems and pain on a road bike after a while as you are stuck in the same position unlike mountain biking.

Good Luck ;)
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    apreading wrote:
    mousetoo wrote:
    frankly the comment above that waist shorts is are not available with a decent pad is bollox. As with everything, you get what you pay for

Show me where I can get waist shorts from Castelli or Rapha for example? I just found a pair from Assos, which surprised me (I wasnt aware of it before). Most premium brands seem to offer either not do waist shorts or only offer them at the bottom of the range, certainly there is ALOT less choice.

Having said that, the above is for men - I am well aware that Castelli and others offer more options for women.

I don't understand the point of your post - unless you are saying that Castelli and Rapha are the only decent pads available and Assos are poor?

The poster never said that you had as much choice, just that decent pads were available - which you seem to have queried and proved in the same post?
  • apreading
    I was trying to admit that I was wrong because I didn't think Assos did them but restate that for most of the premium brands I was still right - you can't get them. And forest of the second tier brands they also only do them on the lower end of their ranges.