Help please - 2011 Allez triple upgrade plans

graves_x
graves_x Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for some help / advice on my planned upgrade path ...

As my first road bike, I bought a second hand 2011 Specialized Allez triple last year, which already had a few upgrades (carbon post & stem) and have done around 700 miles on it since then.. All in all I'm very pleased with it and apart from a service haven't spent any more on it.

I'm now looking at moving it on a bit, but feel that I'm still the weak link in the whole equation so don’t feel the need to upgrade the bike as a whole yet. Although there are some very tempting offers on at the moment (eg 2013 CUBE Agree GTC full carbon for £800)

I don’t really like the triple setup (only bought it as it was rediculously cheap) so want to go for a double and at the same time upgrade the rest of the groupset, but also looking at wheels and tyres as options too. Does this sound like a good plan ?

In summary I was looking at a 2x10 speed double (so Tiagra / 105), but then saw people talking about Microshift and they appear to be very good, but wondered if anyone has used them ? I’m also no expert when it comes to gear ratios etc, so does the following sound ok ? And finally, if I’m replacing the chain/ crank set does what Bottom Bracket do I need, is it dependant on the new elements?

Current
Shifters Shimano 2300
front mech Shimano 2300 (Braze on)
rear mech Shimano 2300
Bottom Bracket Cr-Mo axle, 68mm x 118mm (BSA standard)
crankset Shimano 2300 52-42-30
cassette Shimano HG-50, 8-speed, 13-26t
chain KMC Z-51
brakes Basic

New
shifters Microshift centos
front mech Microshift centos
rear mech Microshift centos
Bottom Bracket Shimano 5700 105 ?
crankset Shimano Tiagra 39-52T
cassette Shimano 105 11-28T
chain No idea ?
brakes Dont see the need to change them ?
Wheels Fulcrum Racing 7 ?
Tyres No idea ?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated ?

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Not had any experience of Microshift compared to Shimano. However just a quick Google seems to indicate that a set of Microshift Centos shifters will set you back anywhere between £135 and £160. For that price you could get a set of 105 5700 10-speed and have change to spare

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105 ... XuBHfD_BwE

I would also advise you to consider a compact (50/34) chainset rather than the standard (52/39 that you have specified. This will give you a low ratio (34/28) which is almost identical to your current (30/26) with the triple.

Any Hollowtech 2 bottom bracket will be OK with any Shimano chainset - you can mix and match at will

Sounds like you are planning to spend quite a chunk of cash on your groupset upgrade. For my money I would rather consider a wheelset upgrade. I think you will see and feel a more significant improvement from that
  • Graves - Wheelset is usually the first upgrade and will make more of a difference to your riding enjoyment than a groupset change. You didn't mention budget but something in the £500-£600 range would be consistent with a full carbon bike should you upgrade to one. Original wheelsets on bikes usually under-perform the bike and groupset so you'll likely be disappointed with anything on a new bike within a year or two.

If you do upgrade the bike, likely to be a decent groupset (105 or better) on it if you go to carbon bike.

Groupsets are going 11 speed in the higher end of the component price range you mentioned including the Shimano 105s (about £300 for the entire set on the 5800 due to replace the 5700 in the fall ) and SRAM 22 Rivals (10% or so more just announced in June) so need to plan ahead with freehub on wheel that will suit the 11 or 10 speed gruppo you go with. Some 105 5700s still around if you want to stay 10 speed in that set but should do it this summer before they switchover. Tiagra, SRAM Apex or Campy Veloce would be slightly lower priced 10 speed option if you plan to stay with current bike. Piecing together components in this end of the groupset market not a big benefit if any. Agree that a 50/34 crankset with a 11-28T cassette would give you practically the same range as the triple and allow you to ride just about all terrain without sacrifice. Doing that gearing with an 11 speed vs 10 speed would make for somewhat smoother shifting. Check around for qualified service shops if you plan to go Microshift. Still a smaller company breaking in to some geographies and might not have parts and service near you should you need it. Steve
  • graves_x
    graves_x Posts: 3
    Thanks very much for the (very detailed) responses guys, my initial thoughts on the Microshift groupset were down to price, but having looked around a bit more I agree that maybe a Shimano setup might be a better idea Thanks also for the suggestion that a wheelset upgrade might provide a better return ...

So new plans are (all prices from http://www.probikekit.co.uk/) :

Shimano Tiagra Compact Boxed Groupset (includes: Chainset (50-34 / 172.5mm), cassette (12-28), front (braze-on) and rear derailleur, shifters, cables, brakeset, bottom bracket (BSA) and chain.) £249.99
    Continental Grand Prix 4000S Clincher Road Tyre - 23mm x 2 £49.49
    Fulcrum Racing 7 Black Clincher HG11 Wheelset 2014 Black (HG11 / Compy) £108.89
    Total: £408.37

Just need to get it past he wife, and decide whether to try fitting myself (and learn a lot) or see how much my LBS will charge for doing it (and avoid breaking anything)

Thanks
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I would recommend having a go at doing the fitting yourself. You will learn a lot along the way and it will stand you in good stead when any future maintenance issues arise.

There are plenty of instructional videos on YouTube and the Park Tools site has loads of info on maintenance and assembly advice:-

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Don't forget to budget for the appropriate tools if you don't already have them. Minimum requirements will be a BB tool, chain whip, cassette lockring tool and a decent set of Allen keys. Also you will need GOOD quality cable cutters - don't skimp on these or you will enter a world of grief from frayed inner cables and crushed outers.

As a pointer, the Park Tool cutters get good reviews:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-prof ... 5360064342