Hello! Rockrider? Comp HT?

_james
_james Posts: 15
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey all,

I'm new here, have been lurking for a little while.

Looking to get into some mountain biking since I've now moved and settled into London living. I used to BMX quite a bit 10 years or so ago, but studies/ career took priority/ local park shut down and I fell out of it. I'm close to Epping Forest so will be getting out and about up there when I can.

I've spent the last couple of weeks looking into different bikes and have pretty much narrowed it down to the RockRider 8.1 (Decathlon, mentioned a lot on here) and the Boardman Comp HT.

Being new to the MTB world, I have a simple question; is the Boardman worth the extra money (£650 vs the £550 for the RR), or should I go for the RR?

Thanks!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Both are good - but the Boardman 2014 is a bit of a backstep from older models, and doesn't offer anything over the Boardman spec wise. In fact the Rockrider has the better fork and is lighter too.
  • _james
    supersonic wrote:
    Both are good - but the Boardman 2014 is a bit of a backstep from older models, and doesn't offer anything over the Boardman spec wise. In fact the Rockrider has the better fork and is lighter too.

Thanks for your reply! I assume you meant the Boardman doesn't offer anything over the RockRider spec wise?

Based on your answer I'd say the Boardman isn't worth the extra then... Really it will come down to trying them both out and making a decision from there!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sorry yes! The Boardman, spec wise, is not better.
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    I'm in a similar position - keep looking at bikes and keep coming back to the RR.
    Spec and weight for the money looks great.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    Or have a look at ebay - a lot of deals pop up all over if you know enough to check that the bike is in good nick - i got my HT Team (2012) for about £450 in october - with only 20 miles on it. In terms of which bike, I haven't ridden the rockride but my boardman is pretty good (has no relation to whether the 2014 model is any good though - they changed to 650B wheels for this year). I have never been faster!!
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • _james
    supersonic wrote:

Thanks!

Think I'll take a trip to Decathlon on the weekend again and try it out.
    bob6397 wrote:
    Or have a look at ebay - a lot of deals pop up all over if you know enough to check that the bike is in good nick - i got my HT Team (2012) for about £450 in october - with only 20 miles on it. In terms of which bike, I haven't ridden the rockride but my boardman is pretty good (has no relation to whether the 2014 model is any good though - they changed to 650B wheels for this year). I have never been faster!!

Thats a good shout. Both are running 650b now anyway so no option there. I know the Boardman looks a lot nicer, but can't let that be a deciding factor :P
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    _james wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Thanks!

bob6397 wrote:

Thats a good shout. Both are running 650b now anyway so no option there. I know the Boardman looks a lot nicer, but can't let that be a deciding factor :P

Rockrider is still 26" isn't it?
  • _james
    DirkPitt74 wrote:
    _james wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Thanks!

bob6397 wrote:

Rockrider is still 26" isn't it?

Ah my bad, you're right. Not sure what made me think otherwise.
  • timboellis
    timboellis Posts: 223
    If it helps i just bought a Boardman today for £427 through Halfords with their discount deals vouchers etc.