London Tdf Logistics Advice sought

paulintheforest
paulintheforest Posts: 84
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
I'm heading to Green park today but wondered about driving to the edge of London and hopping on the tube rather than getting the train in from Winchester. Can anyone advise a good spot from coming up the M3? The ideal is to be about 30 minutes by train or tube from Green park so that I can get back quickly. I've got my 6 year old with me so I expect she will be shattered by the end of the day. Paying for parking not an issue, it's about travel time rather than cost.

I know of left this really late to plan so appreciate any tips, otherwise it's off to the station for the 11:30. Been too busy up in Yorkshire to plan this part properly.

thanks

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    definitely get the train to Waterloo then tube to Green Park..... driving you would end up in Richmond and that would take ages to rattle into St James Park tube.
  • surrey_commuter
    definitely get the train to Waterloo then tube to Green Park..... driving you would end up in Richmond and that would take ages to rattle into St James Park tube.
  • definitely get the train to Waterloo then tube to Green Park..... driving you would end up in Richmond and that would take ages to rattle into St James Park tube.

Thank you, 11:18 from Winchester it is then, best get on with making the sandwiches
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    FTR, the trains will be rammed coming out so it won't be quick back. ;)
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • FTR, the trains will be rammed coming out so it won't be quick back. ;)

I'll be the guy at Waterloo with the girl in the red and white spotted top either carrying the cutest sleeping child ever or rowing with a tired and grumpy monster :lol:
  • Last spot with free parking on the A3 is New Malden before a 24 min train journey into Waterloo, maybe Raynes Park but I can't vouch for that.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • surrey_commuter
    Last spot with free parking on the A3 is New Malden before a 24 min train journey into Waterloo, maybe Raynes Park but I can't vouch for that.

The train will only take him an hour to Waterloo. driving to New Malden/Raynes Park then train to Waterloo will take him double that.
  • Thanks for the advice, We got the train up and watched it all from Green Park on the big screen. A fantastic day out with a little girl off to school tomorrow with bragging rights that she saw all 3 stages in the UK. It wasn't too busy coming out of Waterloo either.

Now the long wait to see whether taking the day off after her absence request was turned down gets me in trouble. With a strike on Thursday and school closed their position that Education is too important for any time off during term is a bit shaky.
  • surrey_commuter
    I may be rubbish at cycling but if anybody needs advice on trains then I am the man