Rattles & Clicks

bikerMau5
bikerMau5 Posts: 32
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Hey,

Went out yesterday and noticed a couple of things on my new bike, firstly, the right hood is rattling or vibrating? Can this be tightened in some way? Secondly, when I change into the smaller chainring at the front, I get a click sound once every stroke? It's driving me crazy? Is this there to indicate which ring I'm on or am I going crazy?

Finding the gears a bit more of a handful than I expected, otherwise loving the bike!

Many thanks :D

Comments

• bikerMau5 wrote:
    Hey,

Went out yesterday and noticed a couple of things on my new bike, firstly, the right hood is rattling or vibrating? Can this be tightened in some way?

Should be yes - as it's a new bike take it back to where you bought it and they should sort it for you.

Secondly, when I change into the smaller chainring at the front, I get a click sound once every stroke? It's driving me crazy? Is this there to indicate which ring I'm on or am I going crazy?

No it shouldn't be there as above with a new bike better to get the place you bought it to sort everything for you. There are often little tweaks needed as bikes bed in - that's why pretty much everyone offers a free six week service. Sounds like your just needs a few tweaks now.

Finding the gears a bit more of a handful than I expected, otherwise loving the bike!

Many thanks :D
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Any advice for someone with a bike that's almost a year old and does the second one above? - doesn't do it all the time, seems to be worse/more noticeable on steeper hills where I'm pushing harder on the pedals but get a click/creak which appears to be pretty much on every rotation of the pedals. Obviously makes sense to go back to the shop on a new bike - but don't think they'd be sorting it for nothing on mine after 11months of use...
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Grab a coffee and have a read
    viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12581556
  • wilshawk
    wilshawk Posts: 119
    I had a rattly hood before, pulled the cover up and slotted a tiny bit of paper into a slit that was inside and it stopped the rattling and been perfect ever since.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    If the click is in the same position on every rotation check how tight your chainring screws/nuts are.
    As they click if loose.

Hth
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...