The stuff in a glass conundrum

pinno
pinno Posts: 52,086
edited July 2014 in The cake stop
You will need:

A slim Jim and
Alka Seltzer, Soluble Aspirin or Liver Salts.

Sugar, salt, flour, baking powder and Bicarbonate of Soda don't work. Sugar and salt are too heavy and don't stay in suspension for long enough and the rest dissolve too quickly and make for an obscure solution.

With the former dissolved in half a glass of water, make the water spin fast enough so that there is a vortex and the water is going up the side of the glass. Now here is where the half interesting thing happens (before the TdF restarts tomorrow):
As the water slows down, particles very briefly form a 'twister in the centre of the glass twice. When the liquid is spinning at it's fastest, this doesn't happen. It only happens when it reaches 2 critical points as it slows down - it is quite elegant.
Try it and can anyone tell me why and what is going on?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Sounds like a complete mind f*ck for a Sunday evening, how about you save us the bother and just tell us all what happens and why :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • pinno
    arran77 wrote:
    Sounds like a complete mind f*ck for a Sunday evening, how about you save us the bother and just tell us all what happens and why :wink:

No.

The answer is in the text above if you can bother yer 4rse to read it properly. I just want to know why.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Can't try it as I don't have the required chemicals, but I'm guessing it's something to do with Chaos Theory ?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I had no idea what a slim jim was, Google said a narrow pair of trousers or a smoked sausage, neither would fit in my glass, should I get a bigger glass?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I thought a slim Jim was a tool for breaking into cars or windows of houses.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Slim Jim was a dodgy geezer type fellow who used to drink in The Cross Keys a good few years, then mysteriously disappeared.

Is it the corkscrew effect?
  • pinno
    CiB wrote:
    Slim Jim was a dodgy geezer type fellow who used to drink in The Cross Keys a good few years, then mysteriously disappeared.

Is it the corkscrew effect?

It must be an intermittant Corkscrew effect if it is that.