Canyon Spectral al 6.0 (and inbred singlespeed build)

leythervegas
leythervegas Posts: 191
edited September 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Here's my canyon spectral that I've had for around 6 weeks now. I pondered over the entire spectral range but decided that the cheapest model was plenty enough spec for me. It's comparable with bikes twice the price so didn't see the point in going higher up the range.

I've found it absolutely superb on the daily commute, can't see what all the fuss about this years fox forks is. They've been faultless and at least as good as the revs on my old carbon 456. The biggest plus points I've found are the slx drivetrain, the classy finish and ride of the frame, the reverb (best component ever invented!) and the 650b wheels - they do make a difference after all. The negatives are maybe the tyres are a little draggy - maybe and maybe the saddle is a smudge firm but I'm nitpicking. I'm currently building up an old inbred frame as a singlespeed to protect the canyon from the winter so I'll put some pics of that build in here as it progresses. Had a ss inbred before and absolutely love them.

8F5340C1-0557-4082-9DD8-7DA42A81B9BE_zpsvyfja1ja.jpg

F4D0EE8E-A86C-41CD-8B80-D1B49890DAC0_zpsrwk09zfs.jpg

On the top of Rivington Pike

110F8C6E-567F-496A-8190-F3A75B70EB5A_zpstqdk3cbm.jpg

At whinlatter south loop

08F984B2-2214-4903-AC14-40EA6ADD5F2B_zpswtnecst6.jpg

Comments

• Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    That's a lovely bit of kit bud! I have the Nerve and I'm really impressed with the quality and value for money from Canyon!

Love the raw colour too, and I've not had any issues with my forks either, despite (as you say) the negative comments.

The last pic at Whinlatter is superb too. Enjoy!
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I love my spectral as well, super inspiring to ride

have you looked into changing the tyres front to back? I saw about it in the WMB review but they're exactly the same tyres and I could not (personally) see how it would make a difference
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Lovely looking bike but I'm afraid I'm gonna have to pull you up on this statement...
    the 650b wheels - they do make a difference after all

What difference is that then?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • leythervegas
    The biggest difference I think is on cross country flattish rides, just seem to cover the ground quicker and soak up the bumps better. I'm comparing directly to my last bike which was a carbon 456 with tubeless wheels and my strava times are quicker on the spectral. Must admit I don't see any benefit going downhill though when I've done trail centres.

I read the same thing topcoat regarding the tyres. I agree mate, don't see how it can make a difference unless you change them direction wise if you get my meaning.
  • When are you puting up the inbred ?
    And lovely canyon by the way.
  • leythervegas
    Cheers charlie, will be putting some pics up tomorrow or Friday. Just got some new cranks, forks, bars, stem and bb to fit. Still need wheels and brakes before it's complete but it's looking good so far.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    The biggest difference I think is on cross country flattish rides, just seem to cover the ground quicker and soak up the bumps better. I'm comparing directly to my last bike which was a carbon 456 with tubeless wheels and my strava times are quicker on the spectral. Must admit I don't see any benefit going downhill though when I've done trail centres.

So you're comparing apples with pears.

You're comparing a hardtail to a full sus and you say the wheels soak up the bumps better, ever thought that's down to the type of bike and particular suspension used? The "seems to cover the ground quicker" can easily be the new toy placebo effect.

Again strava times could be due to the fact you're riding a full susser so downhills etc are faster through extra confidence given and so forth.
  • leythervegas
    Maybe, maybe not. Fact is I seem quicker on a heavier bike so it could well be the wheel size. I'm not trying to open up a debate on wheel size here - just telling it as I've found it.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    Isn't the whole point of 650b that it gives some of the advantages of a 29er while not feeling vastly different to a 26"?

On the Spectral I've got more travel, bigger tyres, different geometry and I've gone from SPD to flats as well as to 650b. I can comment on how the bike feels in respect to my Anthem but I'd have no idea if that is down to wheel size or other factors.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Briggo wrote:

So you're comparing apples with pears.

You're comparing a hardtail to a full sus and you say the wheels soak up the bumps better, ever thought that's down to the type of bike and particular suspension used? The "seems to cover the ground quicker" can easily be the new toy placebo effect.

Again strava times could be due to the fact you're riding a full susser so downhills etc are faster through extra confidence given and so forth.

yarp but im comparing apples with apples with a dune vs a dune and what he says isnt actually wrong IMO

Nice bike by the way, and when you want to find out why people slam the fox so hard is go try a pike this year... its so much plusher and suportive.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I do like the look of these bikes...that top tube-seat stay line is awesome and Dune-esque hump is very appealing too
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • leythervegas
    So here's my Inbred. It's being built up as a single speed winter commuter. I intended to do it rigid but saw a great deal on these suntour forks but I'm not sure till I've rode it whether to keep them or not as they are very heavy. Got some more parts to fit over the weekend including deore cranks, crank bros bars, Easton stem and grips.

60736380-7977-44F4-AB70-AEFA0BD834C0_zpsage07dbq.jpg[/URL]

6BDF5E18-703A-441A-8D2A-21AAB67006C9_zpszn56jkum.jpg[/URL]

Cost of the build so far is -

- frame £65
    - race face headset free with frame
    - forks £35
    - stem free
    - saddle free
    - bars £11
    - post £8
    - cranks £25
    - grips £7
    - Chainstay protector free (stolen from brother)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Are you commuting on it exclusively in winter and if so are you on road? What are you commuting on in summer?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • leythervegas
    I have been using the Canyon so far this summer but when the Inbreds built up I'll try and use that mostly in the wet. The Canyon is a pain in the arse to clean and I'm concerned about joints, rear suspension etc needing replacing. The Inbred will be great to just chuck in the shed full of crap when its wet and muddy. Hence the budget build.
  • leythervegas
    My commute is mostly off road on gravel and canal paths. I've used a singlespeed rigid before to commute and it was brilliant but had to sell it.
  • Devastazione
    Devastazione Posts: 280
    Lovely Canyon. My mate just got the 29 version and I've had the chance to ride it. Unlike my slow and floaty "in your face 29 " Stumpy FSR 29 the Spectral 29 is quite a whippy and nervous bike with all the benefits of having bigger wheels,I really loved it .
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Loving the Canyon, for that price it's a bargain.

How did you get on at Whinlatter with it?

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • leythervegas
    Was great at whinlatter mate, I'm not the most skilled rider by any means but the dropper post was very useful and the general ride was superb
  • Hi . I also am looking at getting a Spectral but am a bit phased by the sizing given the reviews on here and in 'What Mountain Bike' about being on the small side. I wondered how tall you are, what size frame you ordered and how happy you were with the decision?
  • I'm 6ft 2 and have the large. It's absolutely perfect for me and I' think this years XL would feel a little stretched for me but everyone's different.
  • Upgraded a couple of bits of finishing kit - put some fatbar lites on as the original bars are a bit swept back for me and these look miles better! Also got a fizik gobi xm today which initially seems far more suited to my ass than the stock saddle.

88F97D78-E8E8-428C-866D-7E0EE2CD7DA5_zps1l1asi6w.jpg