Stop at Nothing

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2014 in Pro race
Folks

This is mentioned in the LA thread, but worth raising here.

BBC4 tonight at 9, and again at 2 in the morning has Lance Armstrong : Stop at Nothing on. I believe this is a far superior effort to the Armstrong Lie
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Thanks I'll record that!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I just finished watching it. I didn't think it was better than the Armstrong Lie, but there were a few clips I haven't seen before.

The saddest thing for me was the clip showing Phil Liggett watching the Oprah interview in disbelief. Poor Phil :(
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    I found it a great antidote to today's overdose of enthusiasm and joy on the roads of Yorkshire.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • TMR
    If you missed it, you can catch up here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b048wq0z
  • TMR
    I found it a great antidote to today's overdose of enthusiasm and joy on the roads of Yorkshire.

:mrgreen:

Actually, it's made me want to visit Cycle Torrents to d/l the entire '99 Tour so I can see for myself just how much they took the Mick!
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Thanks for the tip off, I'd forgotten this was on. Interesting to see and hear from some of the protagonists, who have not been seen elsewhere, that's the first time I've seen Tillotson for example. I know its fashionable (at least on one other forum) for middle aged men to be in love with Betsey, but it has to be said Frankie is a lucky guy.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    TMR wrote:
    If you missed it, you can catch up here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b048wq0z

Will do. Just for the Liggett bit...(won't rush though)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    It's still very surreal watching it from this point in time.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    TMR wrote:

:mrgreen:

Actually, it's made me want to visit Cycle Torrents to d/l the entire '99 Tour so I can see for myself just how much they took the Mick!
    I'm sure it's just the camera angle, but there was one clip in the film that appeared to show Lance freewheeling up the inside of a hairpin :shock:
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Yeah freewheeling uphill is never a good sign.....Bertie in 09 anyone?!

Liggett watching Oprah was brilliant :D
  • TMR
    Apparently Sherwin owns a gold mine - Armstrong and Liggett have both invested in it?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Could have introduced the characters a lot better.

I basically had to do it for the audience here.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    iainf72 wrote:
    Folks

This is mentioned in the LA thread, but worth raising here.

BBC4 tonight at 9, and again at 2 in the morning has Lance Armstrong : Stop at Nothing on. I believe this is a far superior effort to the Armstrong Lie

I did think about starting a BBC 4 week thread, so I had this on record.
    It's worth checking their schedules, this week. I also recorded Velorama, last night.
    There is another repeat of Lance Armstrong : Stop at Nothing on Wednesday at midnight, along with a local lad of ours, Rob Penn's "The Ride of My Life: The Story of the Bicycle", at 9pm.
    Thursday is a must have recording for everyone, with another showing of "A Sunday in Hell" at 11pm.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Thursday is a must have recording for everyone, with another showing of "A Sunday in Hell" at 11pm.

That's the one to get all the new fans onto. "This is what they're doing outside of three weeks in July"
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    A fascinating watch, he really comes across as an odious manipulative sociopath.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    I still like the guy (or at least the version that I know via the media). He is obviously a lying, cheating, manipulating git but he still has an edge and charisma that keeps me liking him.

I loved the way he took Kimmage to task. They both knew Kimmage was in the right but PK had made the mistake of getting carried away with rhetoric and chose his words very badly.

Same with Frankie/Betsy. LA got everyone hooked on Frankie being a good husband and backing up his wife, then dropped in that Frankie had lied to his wife to keep her happy at the outset of their relationship, which she had to confirm essentially calling her own husband a liar. It's nasty, but bloody clever.

Walsh's simile of the hitman, or cat burglar summed the whole thing up perfectly for me.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • TMR
    I disagree. PK did OK, but where he went wrong was in allowing LA to deflect the issue to cancer. If he'd kept it to doping he may have had more success.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Sky+ is unusually busy recording things for me rather than the wife for a change this week!
  • TMR
    Pross wrote:
    Sky+ is unusually busy recording things for me rather than the wife for a change this week!

Don't forget Cycle Torrents if you miss anything. The coverage is usually up super fast.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    We're just about to put this on... quoth Mevrouw Giet 'wasn't Phil Liggett the guy from Thin Lizzie?'
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    We're just about to put this on... quoth Mevrouw Giet 'wasn't Phil Liggett the guy from Thin Lizzie?'

Belter. Phil was on sensational form through the back streets of Sheffield yesterday. Seemed genuinely emotional. Perfect for the occasion.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Thought this might be the best place to post this seeing as the other thread is just beyond hope:

http://www.esquire.com/features/lance-a ... 0#comments

Seems to like a drink. Can't imagine that's a good mix.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Half watching it through the ITV highlights. The Kimmage Interview and the looks on Hincapie's and Leipheimer's face are priceless. I'm not sure I ve ever seen Kimmage's reply before either..?

Wasnt that impressed by the Liggett flash though...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    The kimmage bit is electric. You wouldn't want to be on the other side of that.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Armstrong Lie on ch4 now, just as bad. Evil, evil person.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    TMR wrote:
    I just finished watching it. I didn't think it was better than the Armstrong Lie, but there were a few clips I haven't seen before.

The saddest thing for me was the clip showing Phil Liggett watching the Oprah interview in disbelief. Poor Phil :(

Have a look at the web of business interests that Dave (Dim) over on velorooms put together, think it featured in a book that was brought out looking at the whole Armstrong/Doping saga.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    TMR wrote:
    I disagree. PK did OK, but where he went wrong was in allowing LA to deflect the issue to cancer. If he'd kept it to doping he may have had more success.
    I know PK is less than universally popular, but that took balls.