Quick release wheels + hydraulic breaks

omarm
omarm Posts: 73
edited July 2014 in MTB general
In Decathlon, I asked about the quick release wheels
i told them that I wanted to take in my saloon car

The sales person told me that I needed to be ultra careful when doing this
She said that when the front wheel was off, if the brakes where pressed, then this would close the break and it's super tricky to undo

I asked how you would fix. She took out her bike tool and showed me how you would carefully insert into the break and gently open up (I didn't quite understand)

I'd appreciate any comments on the above
Why have quick release wheels in that case...? :(

Thanks

Omar

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Really they should provide the pad spacers that fit between the pads for transportation.

Or you could put anything else clean between the pads so the don't close.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • omarm
    lets assume they don't supply
    where can i get pad type things?
    note sure where to get strong sponge - but then it would be nice it part of it you could clip onto the handlebar or something?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've always transported bikes with hydraulic brakes in the back of cars for 10+ years with wheels out, I've never used a pad spacer, and never had a problem.
  • omarm
    njee20 wrote:
    I've always transported bikes with hydraulic brakes in the back of cars for 10+ years with wheels out, I've never used a pad spacer, and never had a problem.
    have u ever had a little kids with the motto: if there's a button or lever, then it's purpose in life is to be pressed?
    lol
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's just a piece of plastic that fits where the rotor would. So either find something that works, or tie the kids up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • omarm
    cooldad wrote:
    It's just a piece of plastic that fits where the rotor would. So either find something that works, or tie the kids up.
    u mean on the wheel?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Rubez?
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    omarm wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    u mean on the wheel?

You put the spacer between the brake pads (where the rotor would sit when the wheel is fitted), and it physically stops them closing together, like this:
    http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/ ... s/3lrg.jpg

A folded-up business card will do the trick if you don't have the proper spacers.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Rubez?

Lol!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • omarm
    @jimothy78 thank u!
    i understand more now
    where do u get 'proper' ones from?
    what makes them proper? (i.e. do they fit and stay where they are - i.e. whereas a business card would come out)
    thanks
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    It's really not something you need to worry about. If you do accidentally advance the pads they're really easy to reset. It's not going to ruin your brake for good.

You can put a spacer in to be extra safe, but it's not essential.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    An elastic band and piece of card will do the trick. I explained to my wife not to pull the disc brake lever when there was no wheel in. You can guess what happened next, easily fixed with a flat screw driver.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    omarm wrote:
    @jimothy78 thank u!
    i understand more now
    where do u get 'proper' ones from?
    they come with the brakes (or should do)
    what makes them proper?
    they come with the brakes (or should do)
    do they fit and stay where they are
    depends on the model, but most clip or wedge into place in some way.
    whereas a business card would come out
    thanks
    fold it enough times that it's a good tight fit and friction will hold it in there.

whatever you use, just makes sure to keep it clean - any oil or grease contamination will ruin your brake pads.
  • omarm
    @jimothy78
    Thanks for all the info
    Really helpful
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Some people (whether they are shop staff or just people) make owning bikes seem incredibly complicated.

I, like njee, have always dropped the wheels off and chucked the bike int he back of the car and have never had an issue but when transporting the bike on a plane or whatever, I have been known to use a complicated device such as a folded piece of card to keep the pads apart.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    It's a sensible question, though. I have some spacers my LBS gave me for free... something like this 46953.jpg.
    But a bit of folded cardboard would be sufficient, and would save a load of faffing if anyone did pull the brakes with no disc in the caliper.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I used to be super anal about this, but I don't bother any more, it's never caused an issue, just be a little careful what you do with the brake levers.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I just keep one of the Avid spacers in the car and use it if a lever does get pulled (or knocked)......also Avid brakes are prone to not retracting when you want them to (or doing it when you don't) Shimano seem to know what you want!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    If the kids touch your bike, throw them out the window.

No need to thank me.
  • Beer matts!!
  • RNVB-85
    RNVB-85 Posts: 5
    The very same thing happened to me last night. I just used an old butter knife to gently prize them apart again, or you could use a flat head screw driver.

Chucking the kids out the window is probably a cheaper solution though...