skipping chain

Cqc
Cqc Posts: 951
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, my chain started skipping when I put the power down on the cassette, and it only started happening today. The chain is about two weeks old, but the cassette much older, so I thought the cassette was the problem, but then when I swapped the cassette to a new one, the problem persisted. So then I thought it might be. A worn chainring, but the skipping happens on both chainrings, and it's highly unlikely they both wore so suddenly at the same rate. I've got a day trip planned to FoD on Tuesday, so I need this fixed fast. What can it be?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Stiff link, dodgy freehub.
  • Cqc
    All the links look fine, and it seems to be skipping all the time, not just on one link, and the freehub up until now has been fine, and I don't see how a dodgy one would do that. Thanks, but any other ideas?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Badly indexed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That's not what's meant by a stiff link. You need to stick it up side down and back pedal while looking at the chain cycle through the mech
  • Cqc
    I know, and have done that too and there are none
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is it skipping or ghost shifting into a lower gear, they can feel very similar.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cqc
    It's skipping. Well the trip is tomorrow so I have put on an emergency 9 speed chainring (the bike is 10 speed), and see if that solves it, and if it does I'll buy it new 10 speed chainrings
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why bother, there is bugger all difference between 9 and 10 speed and the 9 speed ring will work fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    He's right. If that solves it just leave it be.
  • Cqc
    Does the nine speed chairing not wear the chain faster?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools