Outers? If so how long?

Lewis A
Lewis A Posts: 767
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I've ordered a shimano saint shifter from tweeks cycles, and was wondering, does it come with outer cables, ferrules, etc? In the q&a for the item they say it does (http://www.tweekscycles.com/components/mtb-gear-shifters/shimano-saint-m820-10-speed-shifter-rear), but on most of they're other items they say that they only come with inners...

If I need to buy outers, what length do I need to buy for 1*10 full outer? My bike is a cube hardtail if that helps.
Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It will come with some pre-cut outers for a 'standard' downtube cable routing, ie not enough.

Get a tape measure out, the length you need is entirely dependant on the frame, size, routing, bar width, stem length etc etc.
  • Lewis A
    I would be willing to miss on full outers, would be nice but I suppose it is summer. Will check lengths.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Very unusual for shifters to come with outers. Whether you can set it up with a full length outer will depend on the cable guides on your frame.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lewis A wrote:
    I would be willing to miss on full outers, would be nice but I suppose it is summer. Will check lengths.
    Full length outers give more shifting issues than short ones......also how will you route the full length outers is something you'd need to decide on, will you drill the stops out, cable tie or what?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    It should come with 1700mm of continous outer and 6 ferrules + an end cap. Chop as you see fit.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Lewis A
    I just checked my frame, it won't take full outers. Oh well, I'm tired of bodging things, and don't full outers detract from shifting performance too?
  • The Rookie
    Lewis A wrote:
    don't full outers detract from shifting performance too?
    The Rookie wrote:
    Full length outers give more shifting issues than short ones
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    benpinnick wrote:
    It should come with 1700mm of continous outer and 6 ferrules + an end cap. Chop as you see fit.

Really? All the shifters I have ever bought (not that many to be fair) have come with a new cable but no outer.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • njee20
    Pukka Shimano boxed stock come with pre-cut outers, a loop for each shifter to head tube guide, plus a loop for the chainstay to rear mech, and appropriate ferrules. Most bikes need more anyway.
  • Lewis A
    My shifter just arrived, continous outer, ferrules etc. I reckon 1.7m sounds about right.
  • The Rookie
    I would guess Saint/Zee are more likely to come with full length than the XC biased stuff Njee is likely to buy......
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    And pretty sure you'd be paying top whack for that 'service' grey stock's where it's at. Any self-respecting home mechanic should have a stock of inner and outer anyways ;-)
  • njee20
    The Rookie wrote:
    I would guess Saint/Zee are more likely to come with full length than the XC biased stuff Njee is likely to buy......

That's interesting actually, it was based on working in the LBS for far too many years, rather than my own buying habits. Makes sense they do come with one long bit of outer, it was rather outdated they came with outers that barely suited any frames!

My XX1 shifter still came with cut pieces I'm sure, I of course swapped to lightweight outer :-)
  • Lewis A
    And pretty sure you'd be paying top whack for that 'service' grey stock's where it's at. Any self-respecting home mechanic should have a stock of inner and outer anyways ;-)

My saint shifters were only £37, £4 more than a xt shifter on crc...

Everything works great, however I've only had a little spin up and down the road, as my freehub appears to have failed.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The Rookie wrote:

I think Shimano went full length about 2 years ago.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    Which explains why I've not seen that as I've not worked in the LBS for about 5 years!