Disc brake pad change at local bike shop

wilkinsm
wilkinsm Posts: 8
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Dropped my bike of at my local bike shop a couple of days ago for a front and rear brake pad change. I've done it myself in the past so I know it's only a 5 minute job, however, this time I was feeling lazy I wanted to support my local bike shop.

Foolishly, I left without asking how much it would cost, it's only a simple job I didn't think it would be too much. I've just been to collect the bike and it's cost £51 - for a brake pad change!!!

I haven't been to a LBS for a while but is this the going price now? Or should I be looking for another shop?

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So what did they actually do?

And what brakes?

And a proper brake change is more than just taking the old ones out and fitting new depending on the brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    What did they charge for the pads and how much was labour...?
  • wilkinsm
    £18 for each brake pad and £15 labour.

I didn't ask for any particular pad, last time I used the S2 model from Superstar Components.

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/o ... e-pads.htm

The old ones weren't particularly worn but had become contaminated so were squeaking fairly badly.
  • wilkinsm
    nicklouse wrote:
    So what did they actually do?

And what brakes?

And a proper brake change is more than just taking the old ones out and fitting new depending on the brakes.

It was a straight pad change, in and out.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds about right. RRP on pads and a minimum labour charge.

You live and learn. The hard way.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Tax on being lazy.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    wilkinsm wrote:
    and £15 labour.

Can't grumble at that....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pad price about RRP for decent pads and min labour charge as stated - sounds about right.

Tax on being daft!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.