Canyon Roadlite Frameset

Miles253
Miles253 Posts: 535
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
I've been in the market for a good replacement frameset together my sizing right. Having looked at canyon before, this Roadlite looks like a good buy at £359 at the moment. With a full carbon fork, seatpost, stem and headset, it's cheaper than most other options. I'm bit in the financial position to buy a full bike at the moment, so a transferring of current equipment is the best option.

Does anybody ride this frame, Any thoughts? Any other frames I should be looking at? And finally worth the extra £200 for an Al SLX? I like a fast club run, want to do some sportives and have racing aspirations.

I'm 6 ft 4 as well so if anybody is a similar size, what size did you go for?

Thanks
Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group

Comments

• You may be better off getting a cheap alu frame second hand
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Miles253
    You may be better off getting a cheap alu frame second hand
    any particular reason?
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    I really like my roadlite. Feels planted, quick - my times seem to be better on the roadlite than my carbon bikes. If you are happy to stick with aluminium,then I would pay more for the racier, lighter AL SLX. If you aren't bothered about carbon, this frame could be all you ever need. The ultimate AL Di2 came top in its price range in Cycling plus recently and it was the only Aluminium bike on test.
  • Miles253
    The main reason I was looking at the Roadlite, is not as an upgrade necessarily but as a replacement frameset for my current bike which is too small for me. I've got my eye on a few carbon road bikes in the future but I need more than one bike as I commute, and would want to use this bike as a winter hack when I get a new full bike.

The al SLX looks lovely, but it's an extra £200 and currently mechanical framesets are out of stock of 2XL which I think is my size.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I have the Ultimate AL (2012) which is an awesome frame, I'm guessing the current crop of roadlite frames are much the same as the Ultimate AL from a few years back.... I'm sure you won't regret it, they're great bikes.
  • jolmes
    jolmes Posts: 144
    I've been looking at that frameset for a long time and about to hit the button on one, especially with that 5% off, makes it that bit more viable with the finances atm.

Also 6"4"" and with their sizing guide i came up as an XL which are on hold till week 30 I think. Defo for the price they are a very good frame, bought one for the misses a while back and she loves it.
  • Miles253
    Alright, seems to be a good idea, anybody in my position likely to opt for the extra money for the better frame? or not bother?
  • jolmes
    After speaking to canyon, the gent recommended me a 2XL forthe roadlite but its now out of stock. Would going for a 3XL be that much of a difference?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    look at the geometries, that's what they are there for.
  • jolmes
    Done that already. Was speaking to an awesome guy yesterday at Canyon who suggested an 2XL instead of the XL but its out of stock...the guy today did what you did, no real advice just threw the geometry in my face like i haven't already spent ages looking at it and wondering if it would be that much different...Seems anyone with some decent advice is away for lunch right now.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    If you're already bumping up a size onto the 2XL then no. 3XL would probably be a bit much.
  • jolmes
    Thank you Lawrences.
  • Miles253
    I went for a 2XL so i probably took the last one!
  • jolmes
    Ahh you fiend!! Going for the full bike now. Was looking forward to building one up again and had a nice build set up for cheaper than the full bike. Let us know how it goes mate :)
  • Miles253
    jolmes wrote:
    Ahh you fiend!! Going for the full bike now. Was looking forward to building one up again and had a nice build set up for cheaper than the full bike. Let us know how it goes mate :)

Sorry my friend, i'm just lashing the new frame with my older bits for now so i will post pics
  • jolmes
    Don't apologise, there is no need. happy one of us got it :) can only blame myself for being too slow!