Crown Race Split

patrickf
patrickf Posts: 536
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Just taken apart my Ritchey headset and noticed that the crown race has cracked and was rather easy to remove.

This is definitely a crack as I fitted the race myself and it was one piece.

Now the headset is a sealed cartridge bearing headset and so far I've read it's no problem and some people intentionally cut their races.

Question is, leave as is or source a replacement race?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would not worry too much. On a cartridge headset just centers the fork in the bearing.

But not seeing it it is hard to suggest any more but I might take a file to if to remove any burrs and sharp edges.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • patrickf
    Thanks for the quick response. It's just cracked along one side. Doesn't seem to have any sharp edges although I'll double check and remove any that I may have missed.

Offending picture: http://flic.kr/p/nWu2xv
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ahhh I would replace that as the fork crown and steerer is carbon. It will chafe and could cause failure.

I would also be very careful when removing it as you do not want to be cutting a groove in the steerer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • patrickf
    It removes rather easily :-o

I'm wondering if the steerer is slightly too wide for the race, which is why it's split.
  • patrickf
    Actually looking at it again, it does seem that there are hairline cracks on the other side of the race.

Definitely a replacement jobbie at a not-quite-so LBS for me.

Cheers for the help.