Specialized headset problems

joekerr
joekerr Posts: 19
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
hello to all :)
i own a 10 year old specialized rockhopper and the front forks/head set rattles ,its not like the old fashoined bikes i am used to (threaded forks),i had tried to tighten up the centre bolt taken it apart and put back together only to make it worse.
any ideas what i can do ,looks like the bearings are sealed in so the forks dont just drop out when remove stem bars , do i just need to hit it hard or sumthin ?

any help advice would be nice as alll shops are shut ALLLLLL :(

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Loosen the stem bolts, tighten the top cap bolt - tighten the stem bolts .

There is a compression ring - bounce the forks with everything loose and it will move enough to drop the forks. But no need.

Read Parktools.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • joekerr
    yes i did try this a couple times, i will loosen all again an try put more pressure on frame to try push down , maybe this will work dont want to use hammers :)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The big thing is to make sure you've undone stem bolts before trying to preload the bearings.
  • joekerr
    ok i managed to get farther than before :) the forks came off this time with little force , but now i know the problem,,
    the plastic washer that goes in last, i cannot push this into place at all,should it go in easy or does it need a hammer (hammer type pressure) : )
    thanx for help im getting closer :D might even get out on it today
  • cooldad
    Nothing needs a hammer. At least read Parktools so you are using the same terms as the rest of the world.
    Presumably you mean the compression ring.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • joekerr
    sorry i will read parktools but dont have time right now .yes the compression ring,it just will not push down into place to hold it tight enough ,whats the best way to do this ? i could have put bearings on wrong way maybe, but for sure this is my problem ,that ring will not go into place tightly

(this is like trying to tie shoe laces but failing every time :) im not realy this stupid :) usualy . honest
  • cooldad
    Once you have everything in the right place, and tighten the top cap it should all slide into place. Ride to let everything settle and adjust again.
    But if stuff is upside down......
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • joekerr
    ok i have managed to get it tight now,but i think i need a new topcap as it will fully tighten but not pull it together, i had to push down on bars an tighten the 2 stem bolts to hold it ,but this still leaves a tiny rattle which i had before.very tiny rattle but annoying over any bump
  • cooldad
    No you don't need a new top cap.
    You don't push down on the bars to tighten things up. Presumably you have a gap between the top of the stem and the top of the steerer?
    Just read Parktools and do it properly.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • joekerr
    yes i have a gap, but in trying i think i have damaged the topcap and bolt , i cant seperate them now ,and your saying i dont have to put pressure on it to get a tight fit .just the topcap bolt does this for you ?
    i will try again tomorrow mornin.thanx for the help
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Just read Parktools and do it properly.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • joekerr
    thank you for the help and info and the parktool site .the problem is now solved i did need a new topcap and bolt
    fixed in seconds
    thanx