How can I have 3 bikes and not have one ridable? Dilemma!

N0bodyOfTheGoat
N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
Felt F5C: Last time I rode it was in 2009(?), after getting it serviced and having new parts fitted (stainless chain; Ultegra 13-27(?) rear derailleur; brake cables; brake pads), had no joy at the time advertising it on here. My lower back has never been the same since an accident at work in 2008, I've tried a long/adjustable angle and a currently fitted static ~17 degree stem, but last time I tried to ride it still gave my back some agro. To top it off, I cannot give a try now, because while trying a fit set of Bontrager Speed Limit brakes after the service, I've gone and misplaced the long front bolt (seen I can sort this out for 99p at Planet X)!

Specialized Tricross Singlecross: Loved commuting to work on this, that is until I ploughed into stationary dustbin lorry in that horrendous weather on 23/12/13, on a big sweeping bend (fractured jaw/nose/dominant hand)! Front wheel rim has a chip from accident, need to pull ruined bar tape off to see why rear brake is snagging. Presumably needs a new front wheel at least, albeit I could pinch the front wheel off the Felt.

Saracen Pylon 8: Been getting regular commuting use since March '14, gutted to discover a major fracture (~66% around tube) on the seat tube above the top tube ~2 weeks ago, no the seat post was not running higher than the safety limit ;) ! Presumably a write-off?

So I've been using Mrs' bike for the last two weeks, most use it has had since it was bought just prior to a Centreparcs holiday around 2007, namely a Saracen Zena 2. It does the job, but has odd geometry and it is a little jarring over bumps.

My plans are...
Get a long front bolt to see if I can ride the Felt without discomfort these days
Work out what is going on with the Tricross, maybe get a LBS to check it over after the lorry impact

Do I look at a Pompetamine frame and Kaffenback fork, to get LBS to transfer alfine kit off the Saracen, which will meant asking them to build a 700c wheel? Presuming the hydraulic brakes; Recon Race forks; chainring; bottom bracket all no good for the transfer?

But by the time I've had the LBS do the above, I almost wonder if I might be cheaper to sell the Saracen whole for parts only and look at a new purchase (if both the Felt and Tricross are uncomfortable/damaged respectively)?
================
2020 Voodoo Marasa
2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
2016 Voodoo Wazoo

Comments

• bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    Is there a frame warranty on the Saracen? Or did you crash it?!
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    The Saracen is now over 6 years old, I doubt it is in guarantee any more. Not that I have the receipt anywhere handy from buying it new off Ebay around Feb '08 for £300!

How the seat tube crack happened is an absolute mystery! I rode it to/from work every working day since around the end of March, then ~3 weeks back I rode it on a day off to meet someone for lunch in town. Locked it up, came back to it and bumped into an old work colleague, who always loved bike fettling and now works part-time at a LBS. Then part way home, I randomly looked down and saw the crack, gingerly continued cycling the last mile and discovered the tube was in a really bad way.

Finally stripped the bar tape off the left side of the Tricross yesterday, discovered the rear brake cable is snagging because the brake hood shifted further from the drop section during my freak collision and put a major kink in the cable outer just before the hood.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Fix the singlecross

Spend the 99p on a bolt and sell the Felt. It's a great time of year to sell a bike

Sell the Pylon parts

Wait until October and then with the $$$ from the two bike sales get yourself another bike, maybe another Alfine