Budget Blown and Buying these 2 bikes

TerryCTR
TerryCTR Posts: 143
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Still a very modest budget compared to a lot of you guys on here but went to a decent bike shop over Halfords today and the staff were really good taking the time to find the correct frame size/setup (Halfords were way out from what they told me). Even better they let us out on the bikes for a quick test ride - that was us sold.

I'm going for the Specialized Allez Sport

C9D2A586-1EB3-43A9-BAC7-4D9097912972.jpg

And the other half chose a Specialized Dolce EQ

462AD0F5-BED3-4F57-9AD2-CF635A850FE5.jpg

Roll on next weeks when we will collect and have the first ride home (6-8 miles)
Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2

Comments

• Enjoy, make sure its a flat ride home.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • TerryCTR
    Enjoy, make sure its a flat ride home.

Thanks mate, and I agree that would be my main concern just now but the route we have to go is predominately flat with just one hill climb at the end so it should be ok. We can always catch the train at various points on the way if comes to it :oops:
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    Good choice. 8)
  • TerryCTR
    Thanks, at first she was looking at the dolce sport EQ but I couldn't have her bike being more expensive :lol:
  • TerryCTR
    That's us back from the collecting the bikes, took about an hour maybe slightly less to cycle the 7 miles so plenty to work on. Managed to dodge the rain and after a big hill climb I stopped at the top to wait on her and just avoided throwing up when the sweats kicked in :oops:
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    TerryCTR wrote:
    That's us back from the collecting the bikes, took about an hour maybe slightly less to cycle the 7 miles so plenty to work on. Managed to dodge the rain and after a big hill climb I stopped at the top to wait on her and just avoided throwing up when the sweats kicked in :oops:

It never gets easier, you just go faster ;)
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    TerryCTR wrote:

It never gets easier, you just go faster ;)

Wise words
  • TerryCTR
    I'm sure I'll find that out over time, still very enjoyable and glad I've got started on the road bike
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    That reminds me - i left my washing out !
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    TerryCTR wrote:
    Thanks, at first she was looking at the dolce sport EQ but I couldn't have her bike being more expensive :lol:

You just threw away the best excuse for being slower than her that you're ever going to get.
  • TerryCTR
    :lol: don't worry I already threw in how she has easier gearing for hill climbing (not even sure that's correct but she bought it) so that should cover any defeat
  • DiscoBoy
    TerryCTR wrote:
    :lol: don't worry I already threw in how she has easier gearing for hill climbing (not even sure that's correct but she bought it) so that should cover any defeat

If she has the gearing in the picture, then she does (by quite a long way). :)
  • TerryCTR
    Yes she has the same bike I linked and 24 gears (3x8)

Do I have the edge on the flats though?
  • DiscoBoy
    Your highest gear is probably the same (50x11).

Your lowest is probably 34x25, whereas hers is probably 30x32.

Edit:

Actually, you have 12-27 on the back, so your lowest is 34x27 and highest is 50x12.
  • TerryCTR
    I'm not even sure what that means :oops: but all I'm seeing is a lower multiple for her bike which would make the hill climb that bit easier. I suppose it will keep her motivated and out on the bike rather than finding it too difficult