Pump advice needed!

Missybiker
Missybiker Posts: 73
edited July 2014 in Commuting general
I bought a 2nd hand giant expression Lx 10 days ago and am having a grand time wizzing along. I am already at 6-7 miles a day. Loving it!
I have bought a little toolkit and am going on a bike maintenance course ( tyre changing first) in 2 weeks. My question relates to pumps. They haven't half changed since I last had my bike in the 1970s. They seem to be floor resting pumps and actually have gauges with psi.

I have marathon plus tyres ( believe they are good). Can anyone advise on the best pump to buy? I know they range from around &20 to £100 ( lower end budget for me I'm afraid, as I am going to buy an asgard shed) - have I told you how much I love my bike?

I've heard about one called a revolution air pump , what does anyone suggest? :D

Comments

• freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    The one you suggested seems to get very good reviews and I personally prefer pumps with a flexible hose to attach to the valve. IMO it decreases the chances of bending valves, particuarly presta type.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I have one of these
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-steel-fl ... rack-pump/

It's great, you might want one of these for when you are out and about too

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-pressure ... mp-medium/
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Missybiker
    Thanks to you both! Am gonna hop online now and check them out. I did wonder what people used when they are out and about. Thanks :)
  • Missybiker
    Wow Chris, those lezyne pumps don't half have their fans. I've never seen reviews like them! Think it's going to be a lezyne for me too. one question, when I was a kid ( last time I pumped up a tyre) you just pumped till it felt right. Nowadays everyone talks about psi. How do I know when I have reached the correct psi ( assuming I'm on the road), or is it a question of getting to know my tyres by feel?
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    if you do get them you won't be disappointed! they screw onto the valve which makes it much easier to pump up, some press on and can easily come off, especially on the mini hand pump.

For the psi it really depends on the tyre you are using, it should say max and min psi on the side of the tyre somewhere (or failing that try googling the make and model of tyre you have and you should be able to find it)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Missybiker
    Super!