Rusty cheap fork

asdfhjkl
asdfhjkl Posts: 333
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey folks,

My old Carrera Vulcan has hardly any travel from the Suntour XCM (2008/9 I think) fork. I know it's a crap fork with steel legs so I wasn't overly surprised to find them looking like this when I took them apart for a service: lcrohNu.jpg

:shock: I've done this a couple of times to keep them running well but they've never been in this bad a state.

I tried to take the fork out of the frame to give it a more thorough cleaning but the steerer tube is pretty rusty too - I can't actually remove the last spacer for rust and didn't want to force the fork out with a mallet in case I damage the headset (which is probably knackered too, although it still runs smoothly).

Cleaned up as best I could, greased what needs greased and reassembled. Fork is working again but is this dangerous? Does the rust just affect the fork action or does it point to structural integrity issues? I'm torn between upgrading the fork (probably a 2nd hand Tora/Recon off eBay) or just putting the money aside for a new bike. If riding a fork in this state is dangerous then I'd probably go for the first option. Otherwise I'm happy to ride it out until I can afford a new bike.

Ta for any advice

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks like surface corrosion - though I can't say it hasn't penetrated. If in doubt, replace them.
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    Get a small metal brush and give the rust a rub, you will be able to tell if it is surface rust or penetrating. If the latter, bin. It week eventually weaken and snap.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    asdfhjkl wrote:
    I can't actually remove the last spacer for rust and didn't want to force the fork out with a mallet in case I damage the headset
    You won't, just smack it one.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Wasn't the late lamented Rubez looking for a set of forks just like this? We never did find out what sort of bike he ended up with . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Thanks all. New forks on the way. Recon gold RL - should be a massive step up over the rusty XCMs :)