Acciaio Owner Reviews

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi guys just wondered if any Acciaio owners would be willing to give a decent in depth review of their purchase and riding experience? There are a few interesting threads on here but would like to know of anyone who has gone from CF to the Acciaio and if there have been any regrets. I am keen on the bike but not the standard paint scheme panel effects. May be looking at custom paint so wondered how you confirm paint schemes with Condor as this seemed a bit wooly when I was in the shop recently. Also what's the deal with upgrading the forks? Seems this is a thing condor recommend but suddenly makes the frame and fork closer to a grand. Cheers in advance :D

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    solboy10 wrote:
    Hi guys just wondered if any Acciaio owners would be willing to give a decent in depth review of their purchase and riding experience? There are a few interesting threads on here but would like to know of anyone who has gone from CF to the Acciaio and if there have been any regrets. I am keen on the bike but not the standard paint scheme panel effects. May be looking at custom paint so wondered how you confirm paint schemes with Condor as this seemed a bit wooly when I was in the shop recently. Also what's the deal with upgrading the forks? Seems this is a thing condor recommend but suddenly makes the frame and fork closer to a grand. Cheers in advance :D

For the custom painting they will do all sorts, from £100-300. They have an in house designer and as long as you don't demand the Mona Lisa or one of the more extreme colnago jobs they can be very flexible. I got this chatting whilst being refitted for my Italia. I may also be considering a baracchi or super acciaio...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    It's awesome.

I wouldn't go back.

The fork is absolutely fine.

I might change it to a Super but only because it's a slightly nicer looking paint job.

Money no object? I'd get a stainless.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bmxboy10
    It's awesome.

I wouldn't go back.

The fork is absolutely fine.

I might change it to a Super but only because it's a slightly nicer looking paint job.

Money no object? I'd get a stainless.
    How long you had yours?
  • bendertherobot
    Just under a year
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I've got one, love the handling, the fit is just about bang on aswell. However, for the price, I'd expect it to be a little more refined
  • bmxboy10
    styxd wrote:
    I've got one, love the handling, the fit is just about bang on aswell. However, for the price, I'd expect it to be a little more refined
    Can you expand on this?
  • styxd
    solboy10 wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    Can you expand on this?

Yeh, but bear in mind I only got it at the end of March and have only done about 3000 - 3500 miles on it in that time, so it's not a long term "review"

The head angle steepens and the seat tube slackens out on the larger sizes (mine's a 61cm) so I can get the saddle back to a reasonable position. It handles well and goes downhills like a charm. Steep head angle coupled with a 140mm stem lets you get alot of weight over the front end. It carves round corners really well. Alot of frames these days seem to keep a constant head/seat angle throughout the sizes.

Only fault with the geometry is the head tube is a touch too long for me. I could have got a custom one, but I couldnt be bothered waiting.

It's pretty heavy though, I'd expect a lighter tubing for the price eg the seat tube is a bit of a beast and doesnt look like it's butted. I reckon a few tweaks with the tubeset and it'd be lighter and ride a bit more like you'd expect a steel bike to. It's not super smooth, and it flexes a bit when out of the saddle. That's minor stuff though, I'd probably get one again. Another option is the Ritchey road logic, but the geometry is a bit funny and the tubeset looks a bit noodly aswell.

Here's a pic

IMG_20140706_091621_zpsb03feb8f.jpg
  • bendertherobot
    Mine doesn't flex!! I'd say it's stiffer than my Canyon CF was. Though perhaps they are less flexy in smaller sizes.

I certainly can't argue against the fact that they are heavy. But mine is still considerably lighter than a lot of the bikes on any average sportive.

One thing to note is that, as you go up the range (Super, stainless) you don't lose any real weight.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    One thing to note is that, as you go up the range (Super, stainless) you don't lose any real weight.

Yeah, not sure why people think different grades of steel have different weight. They all weigh the same... you can have thiner tubes, but the difference is often 1/10 of a millimeter, which makes 100 grams for the all frames or so
    left the forum March 2023
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    Styxd,

I would view the solidish seat tube as a sign of quality instead of a negative. The bottom end needs to be thick until at least above the mech brazeon or you can risk deflection when honking.
    With the modern fashion for lots of exposed seat pin, the toptube/stay cluster comes under a lot leverage and stress as well. Failures have occurred at the stress relief hole for the seat tube clamp slot on lesser specced bikes.
    It is possible the tube is butted but externally ( which is why you cant see it staring down the hole). This can be subtle and hard to spot by eye but beafs up the areas that needs it.
    Also I think I spotted your bike in the my rides section. I thought it was refreshing to see a well proportioned large bike. I much prefer the long head tube to a stack of spacers or stem that looks like a hard-on. Your bike is lovely as it is.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • styxd
    woolwich wrote:
    Styxd,

I would view the solidish seat tube as a sign of quality instead of a negative. The bottom end needs to be thick until at least above the mech brazeon or you can risk deflection when honking.
    With the modern fashion for lots of exposed seat pin, the toptube/stay cluster comes under a lot leverage and stress as well. Failures have occurred at the stress relief hole for the seat tube clamp slot on lesser specced bikes.
    It is possible the tube is butted but externally ( which is why you cant see it staring down the hole). This can be subtle and hard to spot by eye but beafs up the areas that needs it.
    Also I think I spotted your bike in the my rides section. I thought it was refreshing to see a well proportioned large bike. I much prefer the long head tube to a stack of spacers or stem that looks like a hard-on. Your bike is lovely as it is.

yeh, cheers I agree.