"Spacers" to extend braze-on points

allen-uk
allen-uk Posts: 146
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Probably so simple I need certifying, but here goes...

I have a bike with front suspension forks.

At the foot of the forks, a mudguard is attached to what I think is called a braze-on point.

I want to attach something ELSE as well as the mudguard (a front rack, as it happens).

Trouble is, the suspension forks stick out and block access to this point. You can still access the wheel nut, obviously, and also undo the mudguard mount, but my rack would need to sit OUT about 20mm from the existing point.

Are there any spacers (I'm thinking in terms of some sort of extension bolt, aluminium tube, etc), which I can screw in place of the mudguard mount, and thus have that extra 20mm?

Or am I overcomplicating it?

Thanks.

Allen.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It is called a longer bolt and washers weather it will hold well is another matter but that will depend on the load you intend to carry.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • allen-uk
    Freezing, that's JUST what I had in mind.

Knowing the proper name for it now, I can find the size/quantity I need.

Thanks very much indeed for the help.

A.
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    Using a long bolt with a spacer (just a plain length of unthreaded aluminium tube) is quite common for getting mudguards to fit around disc brakes. The same would work for a rack, but I'm not sure I would trust it to be strong enough with a heavy load. I wouldn't use a male/female standoff because they are usually made of brass, which isn't particularly strong.
  • allen-uk
    Thanks evil.

I only want the front rack for light-ish loads, probably no more than 5kg on a lightweight Blackburn MTF rack, but I'll bear your comments in mind.

A