air shock not holding air

justin1978
justin1978 Posts: 18
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a rockshox race rear shock with + and - air chambers.The - chamber isn't holding high pressure and drops to 30 psi in a matter of hours.Ive read that the - chamber cannot be fixed so it looks like a new rear shock :cry:

ive measured the old one and its 160mm x 15mm with a 35mm stroke but I cant seem to find another shock that size.To be honest I would rather go for a spring shock as I don't like the idea of having to carry a shock pump for adjustments while out on it

Can anybody point me in the right direction towards a new shock that's isn't going to break the bank

Thanks

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    probably 165x38 in terms of size

you don't carry the pump around with you either, you set it up and forget about it.

what is your actual budget and what bike is it going on
  • justin1978
    Tha bike I have I have posted a pic in the general section as I don't know what make it is.It seems to be a xc bike as the front forks are RS tora 302 air.

My budget is about 100 max

Thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How have you worked out it's losing air?
    The - chamber will be tiny, so just by attaching a pump the pressure will drop significantly just priming the pump.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    justin1978 wrote:
    I have a rockshox race rear shock with + and - air chambers.The - chamber isn't holding high pressure and drops to 30 psi in a matter of hours.Ive read that the - chamber cannot be fixed so it looks like a new rear shock :cry:

ive measured the old one and its 160mm x 15mm with a 35mm stroke but I cant seem to find another shock that size.To be honest I would rather go for a spring shock as I don't like the idea of having to carry a shock pump for adjustments while out on it

Can anybody point me in the right direction towards a new shock that's isn't going to break the bank

Thanks
    If it is always losing the same amount whenever you check it there is nothing wrong with.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • justin1978
    i put 200 psi in the + chamber and then 100 psi in the - chamber.The shock feels just right but after a few hours the shock is rock solid and the - chamber drops to about 30 psi