TdF 2014 or family harmony?

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
edited July 2014 in The cake stop
I live near enough to the grand depart to drop in to see it. I also can cadge a lift from my Dad. Basically a fun day out and once in a lifetime day too.

On the other hand my partner and 18 month old boy, well my partner at least, are not happy with me going. We NEED to buy a car before end of this month. There's one perfect for us but it'll sell quickly. She wants us to test drive today and buy it. I won't be able to do both.

Gist of my dilemma is I really want to go. Only seen tour of Britain years ago, the old milk race and one town centre race. Never seen any race of TdF standard. I also know that going will leave me with at least a month of grief. How much is seeing the first tour de France to go anywhere near to where I can get to worth? Would you go or play the diplomat and live with regrets?
if I go then I'll take the keys to the shed as that'll be my home for a while I think.

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,886
    when in doubt, do what suits you
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Worth a month of grief.
    Man-up.
  • Sounds like an unreasonable women, I'd go with making more bad decisions.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ktuludays
    ktuludays Posts: 96
    it sounds a little selfish of your partner to give you this much grief for wanting to go. as you said it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. my wife knew last year that i would be going so has planned around it.

explain to your partner why you want to go. there are loads of cars around but only 1 weekend of the tour in yorkshire.
  • Let her test drive the car and then shut up if that was the wrong decision later.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,957
    Used cars are plentiful, she won't miss out by waiting a weeked. Good luck with convincing her of that though!
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    I'll be honest ... I'd ditch ya partner!

If she's not happy to indulge you and let you visit a once in a lifetime world sporting event on the doorstep then I'd be concerned about the future my friend ....
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I'll echo sentiments about her needing to stop being selfish. There are plenty of days left in July, but the Tour is only coming once. If she is really causing this many problems it sounds like you may be under the whip.

In a very serious fashion.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Just tell her that if you can't watch it in your home county of Yorkshire, then you need to move to the Alps so that you CAN watch it every year
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,722
    Tell her to go test drive it herself and put a deposit down if she wants it. You go watch men in Lycra. You both get what you want - simple :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The tour is once in a lifetime you've got the rest of your life for normal life.
  • tangled_metal
    Didn't go but I'll be visiting France in July for a grand tour, about 3000+km one year soon. Tbh reckon TdF in France is truly better. We might have a good.generation of top.flight cyclists right now but France is a true cycling nation.
    On the upside, we now have a great car for a really good deal. And there's always TV. Plus I doubt I had the patience to wait hours in Hawes for the tour. Somewhere exotic like Ventoux...well that's special.
    Wonder if they'll ever do le Tour Feminin again? Britain has talent to do.something in that. Cooke won twice in a row the years before the last one.
  • tangled_metal
    Anyone go btw? How was it?
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Stop justifying not going, she wouldn't let you out!
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,047

Awesome!

The race was over on about 10 seconds but the family atmosphere was great. Really really good day out.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Post removed for being 24 hrs too late with advice.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • tlw1

Awesome!

The race was over on about 10 seconds but the family atmosphere was great. Really really good day out.

echo this

you missed a fantastic event
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    I had to opt for family harmony. Missus was due to give birth on Friday but it didn't happen so I'd cancelled the Leeds hotel needlessly. Then had to miss Stage 2 (which came through all my old stomping grounds) while waiting for signs of labour - which never came.

She's been very grateful for the support but f*ck me I'm narked about it.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    You'll remark what a great deal it was everytime you get in this car for a few months until, eventually one day, breaking down in tears in the passenger seat (It sounds like she does the driving in this partnership) when you realise how pussy-whipped you are.

For shame, sir.
  • tangled_metal
    TBH I could have gone after checking the car out but I ended up doing other things. wasn't as disappointed about not going as I thought I'd be. Had a really good day and picking up a really good car (170 bhp diesel mpv)! The car will last for years,v I'll forget the Yorkshire grand depart well before I replace the car.
    Family who went had fun. Some were at Harewood, others at Hawes. 5 million watched it! That figure is impressive. It came from the tour organiser (of the whole thing not just the Yorkshire bit). The second day was impressive. The local guys are were asked for a second day that is would get all the main contenders to commit. Got that.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    The car will last for years,v I'll forget the Yorkshire grand depart well before I replace the car.

Really? So what you are saying is...

Material possessions are more important in life than the experiences you will enjoy. Do you enjoy owning a bike or riding it?

tbh, I had some sympathy with you until you said that. Relationships can involve frustrating compromises but that comment is either you still trying to justify the decision or you have very mixed up priorities.
  • CHRISNOIR wrote:
    I had to opt for family harmony. Missus was due to give birth on Friday but it didn't happen so I'd cancelled the Leeds hotel needlessly. Then had to miss Stage 2 (which came through all my old stomping grounds) while waiting for signs of labour - which never came.

Only yourself to blame. Should have thought about that last year before you indulged! :lol:
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    5 million watched it!

Actually it was 4,999,999 :wink:
    tick - tick - tick
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Lol at the concept that there is 'one perfect car but it will sell quickly' - unless you were shopping for a Cizeta I would guess that there are about 5000 equally perfect, mass produced family cars for sale in the vicinity. I can't imagine it is going to be a case of "OMG, but that Ford Focus 1.6i was perfect. I've been searching for one of these for ages; where will we ever find another......!"
    The car will last for years,v I'll forget the Yorkshire grand depart well before I replace the car.

By the sound of it, I'd have forgotten the car before I'd even got out of it after my first drive of it! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tlw1
    Rolf F wrote:

By the sound of it, I'd have forgotten the car before I'd even got out of it after my first drive of it! :lol:

you wouldn't, its a 170 bhp diesel MPV :lol:
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR wrote:

Only yourself to blame. Should have thought about that last year before you indulged! :lol:

This is true. But both me and Mrs Noir are getting on a bit now and we didn't really think it'd happen so quickly...

^^^^Thinly veiled 'super-spaff' post.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    TBH I could have gone after checking the car out but I ended up doing other things. wasn't as disappointed about not going as I thought I'd be. Had a really good day and picking up a really good car (170 bhp diesel mpv)! The car will last for years,v I'll forget the Yorkshire grand depart well before I replace the car..

Only a man who didn't go and see the tour could make a statement like that :|
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Fuck1ng hell. Get to the whip, my son.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • CHRISNOIR
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Fuck1ng hell. Get to the whip, my son.

Don't do that - I did and look where it got me...