Saddle choice - please help

markiegrim
markiegrim Posts: 136
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Just too much choice. Don't know where to begin

LBS has a trial program running, but only saddles they have that I like look of are Fiziks. Not that thats a bad choice of course

I'm thinking of upgrading from the standard fit saddle to try to relieve perineal numbness/soreness

So thinking of a Fizik with a central channel. Any views? Does such a saddle feel "odd" like you are really aware of the edges of the channel?

Also, would one with a complete cutout be more effective at relieving soreness or feel even weirder?

Of the Fiziks, I did their on-line flexibility thing (such as it is) and I suppose I come out as a chameleon, but I have to say the Aliante (= "Bull") looks more comfy and closer in shape to the stock saddle my bike came with

Or is there another brand I should consider?

I'm 5'11" and pretty slim. Mostly cycle 2 hour/35 mile rides

Any thoughts, suggestions, most welcome

Markie

Comments

• JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    markiegrim wrote:
    to try to relieve perineal numbness/soreness

Perhaps your current saddle is too narrow or too curved to support your pelvic 'sit bones'.
    Find a leather / vinyl chair that shows the indentation of your sit bones from when you've been sitting a while. Measure the distance between the center area of the indents, and that can be a guide to how wide a saddle you need. Ideally, a saddle will provide support for both the sit bone area, and the center area - without too much pressure on either.

Also adjust the amount the saddle is tilted - usually level or nose up just a touch. Definitely should not feel as if you are sliding forwards or backwards on the saddle - just a nice neutral position. Your hips should not 'rock' up and down as you pedal - if so, lower the seatpost a bit.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I would suggest you try as many as possible. Don't stick to one manufacturer. I like the look of Fizik too but can't find any comfortable enough, and as part of a Retul fitting ended up with a Selle Italia SLS Kit Carbonio Flow.
  • djp66
    djp66 Posts: 115
    markiegrim wrote:
    Of the Fiziks, I did their on-line flexibility thing (such as it is) and I suppose I come out as a chameleon, but I have to say the Aliante (= "Bull") looks more comfy and closer in shape to the stock saddle my bike came with

Well this worked for me, I couldn't decide whether I'm a chameleon or a bull. I planned to order a chameleon Fizik Aliante VS X but somehow ended up ordering the bull version, I realised the mistake when it arrived but decided to give it a go anyway. Glad I did, it is much more comfy and no more numb bits :D

I'd still like to think that as I get fitter and build up my core strength/flexibility I will need to migrate to move on to a chameleon, we shall see.

Good luck with your hunt.
  • djp66
    djp66 Posts: 115
    JayKosta wrote:
    Find a leather / vinyl chair that shows the indentation of your sit bones from when you've been sitting a while. Measure the distance between the center area of the indents, and that can be a guide to how wide a saddle you need. Ideally, a saddle will provide support for both the sit bone area, and the center area - without too much pressure on either.

Following up Jay's advice, the method that I was told about (and used) is to get a piece of undamaged corregated cardboard off a packing box or similar, place it on a hard surface that is sitting height and then sit on it. Your sit bones will make an indentation. Rub over it with chalk or crayon (it helps if you have kids for this) and you'll be left nice impression that you can measure.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    I started with Giant stock saddle on my Defy 3, anything over about 40 miles was getting sore. Had a bike fit, as a result of which tried a Selle SMP Glider, which cut into my rear and was worse than the stock one. Tried a Fizik something or other, slightly better than stock, then changed to a Selle SMP Drakon, which is great.

So even two models from the same brand can be markedly different.

Moral: keep trying till you find one you like. Not at all trying to plug any brand, but I could tell the Drakon was miles better for me than the others within the first few miles. Started comfy, stayed comfy.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • markiegrim
    markiegrim Posts: 136
    All fantastic advice. So thanks

I guess the key is to find a bike shop with a wide range of saddles on a trial program? Don't much fancy making expensive unnecessary purchases
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    One of the most liked saddles is a charge spoon, they go for about £20 and you can normally sell them at close to the new price second hand so they are worth a punt.
    As said check your saddle tilt/fore/aft and even height because if i have my saddle to high it feels like i am getting pressure in the area too.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Too Fast
    Too Fast Posts: 17
    I too had a problem with perineal numbness/soreness which became unbearable the longer I rode. I went to my LBS who spent quite a bit of time going through things with me. I now have a Selle Italia saddle on test. They do very comprehensive measurements and give you a recommended range of saddles that should suit you. I've got the saddle for 2 weeks to try and having done a few miles on it it's amazing the difference! I'm planning on going back this week to swap the test saddle for one of my own.