Steerer crack?

AshleyF73
AshleyF73 Posts: 7
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hello all,

I have a new Giant Defy Advanced, and when changing the spacers to lower my handlebars I fear I may have over tightened the stem.

I can't tell if this slightly protruding edge on the steerer is indeed the result of my expensive mistake or simply a manufacturing mark? From the images I wondered if anybody could tell?

Thanks,

Ashley.

Comments

• sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    I would say knackered. Very knackered, sorry.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So where do you think the problem is?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    Well my steerers don't have marks like that on them but then I don't have a Giant Defy. If you can't tell yourself I'd take the fork to a shop who probably see more of these issues than most of us and who will have the advantage of seeing it in the flesh rather than a photo. Of course a shop may also be more inclined to play safe rather than send you away to crash horribly when it snaps but on the other hand if it was my steerer I'd probably want to play safe anyway.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    nicklouse wrote:

Was this for me? If you click the top photo to expand the photo looks to show a split that develops into delamination. As always if you ask for diagnosis and opinion based on a photo you will get a spread of views. Taking to an authorised Giant dealer will confirm.

I base mine opinion on ownership of the Defy in the past and currently a Giant TCR Advanced and Trinity advanced that do not exhibit these marks on the carbon steerer.
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    Looks broken in exactly the way an overtightened steer usually does. Which is good! because there's nothing like experience to teach you what too much torque feels like.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sandyballs wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Was this for me? If you click the top photo to expand the photo looks to show a split that develops into delamination. As always if you ask for diagnosis and opinion based on a photo you will get a spread of views. Taking to an authorised Giant dealer will confirm.

I base mine opinion on ownership of the Defy in the past and currently a Giant TCR Advanced and Trinity advanced that do not exhibit these marks on the carbon steerer.
    No to the OP ad there are so many marks on the steerer I was wondering which of the many possible ones the OP was thinking was the damage.

Just saying yes it is FUBAR does no really help if they have not correctly IDed what is FUBAR.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • AshleyF73
    Mr Evil wrote:
    Looks broken in exactly the way an overtightened steer usually does. Which is good! because there's nothing like experience to teach you what too much torque feels like.

Yep, I was waiting for a click on my Torque Wrench which never came! (The Torque Wrench just jolts when at the set torque. You are exactly right, an expensive mistake I will learn from.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Technical appraisal - if there are delaminations or cracks then it's f*d
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I can't tell but how far down the steerer does the damage go? Is it just the first few cm?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Just to offer a different point of view, they are probably just manufacturing marks as it is bare carbon.
    The reason i say this is a carbon steerer is pretty damn tough to crush just doing up a stem :!:
    I did an experiment with an offcut once, tried to crush it in a vice, squashed it oval and it just sprang back, took a lot more pressure to make it delaminate :shock:

Have it looked at by your LBS just to put your mind at rest :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    I think not everyone here is looking at the same thing. I circled the bit that looks cracked to me. You can see two circumferential lines, one about 1cm below the other, that appear raised above the rest of the steerer surface.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    As already mentioned you should take it to a shop to get it checked out.

If that mark you've circled matches the shape of the cut out on your stem then I'd say you've probably damaged it. If not it may well be just the unidirectional weave of the carbon.
  • AshleyF73
    Thanks all, I took it to the Giant dealer at Shoreham who confirmed it does not look right and I am awaiting a quote for a new fork.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Also check out the cost of aftermarket forks - you'll probably get something better for less money.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.