Presta valve extenders?

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited July 2014 in Workshop
So I've just built up some 50mm carbon clinchers but all of my (numerous) tubes in the spares bin have 60mm valves (that always seemed like an excessive length on regular rims but not any more!) so while I have a couple of longer valve tubes I would like to be able to use these 60mm tubes. Are presta valve extenders good to go out on a ride if you get a flat and only have a short valve tube on you? Anyone with any experience? Any to avoid? Any to recommend? Many thanks all.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Just trying to follow your post.

50mm clinchers.
    60mm valves. All cool so far.
    Extender to give you more valve. Cool so far.

Now, if you get a puncture, 3 options:
    1. Carry spare tube with extender already on. Job jobbed.
    2. Take off extender from punctured tube, fit to new tube, away you go. Job jobbed.
    3. Carry extender with you that you only use to pump up tyres. Zipp do these.

Re brands: depends what kind of extender: Continental (others are available) do them where you remove the core, screw in extender, screw in core to extender. Win win all round as you can use a Co2 canister to pump them up but also Presta to Scraeder adaptor and use garage airlines to pump up the tyre.

Other extenders just screw onto the valve, leaving the core in place- the problem with these is that they don't accept Co2/mini pump/Presta adapters so you're a bit stuck.

Continental style as above recommended.

HTH
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Oh - remember to use plumbers tape (PTFE) on all joins.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • munkster
    Thanks for the detail. Are these things ("Continental style" I suppose as you refer to) fittable by hand out on the road or do you need a little spanner to tighten it onto the existing valve and/or remove the core? Having one pre-fitted is great but if I needed to borrow a tube or something (not happened for a while admittedly but possible) then I'd have to improvise.
  • Matthewfalle
    Continental as in the the tyre manufacturer, not the tectonic plate.

They just screw on and off - you'll probably be able to get a good enough seal by hand on the ones that you screw onto the valve without taking out the core (but then you've got the inflation issues as above) but for the the ones that you take the core out of you either need the rinky dink little tool that comes with them or just use a pair of small pliers to remove the extractor and replace onto spare tube. I carry a small Leatherman in my "get me home" kit so the pliers are in there.

The Conti tool is tiny and light so you could just tape it to the side of the spare tube so that it's always there if you need it.

If you carry a spare tube that has the core already removed this saves half the job.

If you carry a spare tube that already has the extender fitted this saves the whole job.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • munkster
    Cool, thanks.
    Continental as in the the tyre manufacturer, not the tectonic plate.

Well I for one am certainly glad you cleared that one up :shock: :mrgreen:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

Other extenders just screw onto the valve, leaving the core in place- the problem with these is that they don't accept Co2/mini pump/Presta adapters so you're a bit stuck.

Why do they not accept CO2? Surely the pressure opens the valve in exactly the same way as a floor pump does. I use these on my Shimano RS80 C50s (they're the ones that Shimano supply with the wheels) - I've not tried CO2 but I fully expect it to work.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Get conti race 28 tubes with a 80mm valve that what I use. Or try conti valve extenders and buy the park tool valve tool it is the best.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Matthewfalle
    Conti tool does the job well and comes free with the extenders. Job jobbed really.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    or use the 80mm tubes. The only reason to use extender are 1) your rims are 80mm deep or 2) you are using latex tubes with 40 or 50mm valves. Otherwise use longer valves. Conti make them Madison/I-ride/Bob Elliot/JD Whiskers distribute them its that simple.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Matthewfalle

Why do they not accept CO2? Surely the pressure opens the valve in exactly the same way as a floor pump does. I use these on my Shimano RS80 C50s (they're the ones that Shimano supply with the wheels) - I've not tried CO2 but I fully expect it to work.

Nowt to do with the Co2 - it's the shape of the extender that won't allow you to screw the Co2 canister on (they are not threaded but have a rounded lip that a track pump bites onto - Conti (amongst others) use the valve core so you can use Co2 canisters.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Because it is threaded at the top where you fit the Co2 canister so that will do the job nicely.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Because it is threaded at the top where you fit the Co2 canister so that will do the job nicely.
    My CO2 is a push on type http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Genuine-Innovations/Proflate-Elite-and-2-x-16m-CO2/P9B?gclid=CIyS9OWOuL8CFenItAod5FkASA so it works with both threaded and non threaded valve extenders.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Matthewfalle
    My CO2 is a push on type http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Genuine-Innovations/Proflate-Elite-and-2-x-16m-CO2/P9B?gclid=CIyS9OWOuL8CFenItAod5FkASA so it works with both threaded and non threaded valve extenders.

Didn't know about those top stuff and top link.

There we go - problem solved.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I have 50mm rims and 60mm valve tubes.

I have to use a valve extender to pump them up, but there is enough room to then remove the extender and screw the vale back up. I carry with me a valve extender and an 80mm valve tube.

The reason I don't use an 80mm valve all the time is that I use latex inner tubes, and nobody makes 80mm valve latex tubes.

N.B. continental "60mm" valve butyl tubes are long enough to fit my 50mm rims (shimano RS80), because they are actually 70mm long...
    Red bikes are the fastest.