What Wheelset?

rs6mra1
rs6mra1 Posts: 105
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys,

I own a Felt Z85 and I am looking to upgrade the wheels. I was initially going to settle for the Mavic Kysirium Elite S (£450)but I thought that was too much of an outlay for a bike that retails new for £995.
So i then started to consider the Shimano Ultegra's as they retail for £250.

I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions and advice.
Is there anything better to the Ultegra's and that price range.

Comments

• Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    Campag Zondas. Cant fault them and currently just within budget at Wiggles

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zond ... -wheelset/
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    No good for OP as these are Campag freehub. Shimano out of stock.
  • Check rubble as I think they are cheaper
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Zillions of threads on this topic:
    Best factory wheeset at this price: Zondas.
    Best option at this price: Hand built using something like Archetype rims, 105 hubs and s/s d/b spokes.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    Thanks very much for the input guys. The world of hand built wheels is new to me and I will now look into this.
    What are s/s d/b spokes?
    I am not sure also what bearing my weight would have on this but I am 84Kg and more a sportive rider.
    Any weblinks would be welcomed as i have checked out a couple but confused!
  • drlodge
    rs6mra1 wrote:
    What are s/s d/b spokes?

Saintless Steel, double butted. Standard spokes like Sapim Race are 2.0mm-1.8mm-2.0mm profile.

For 84kg I'd suggest you go for 32 spokes, 28 might be OK but another 4 spokes won't cost you anything in terms of weight or performance.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    drlodge wrote:
    For 84kg I'd suggest you go for 32 spokes, 28 might be OK but another 4 spokes won't cost you anything in terms of weight or performance.

A bit OTT for most modern V shaped rims (wide or not). 24 front and 28 rear works well for the majority of riders out there. 84 Kg is pretty average... although it's the weight of the heaviest rider currently at the TdF... :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    And there's your link to a wheelbuilder who knows a little more than me ;-)
    Find me on Strava
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I agree with ugo 24F/28R or even 20F/28R works very well with wide medium depth rims. 32 spoke rear for a 84 kg rider would needed for a narrow shallow rim like the Open Pro or Excelight but whiles such rims are decent they have new competition that simply benefit from better design i.e they are wider.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • drlodge
    I agree with ugo 24F/28R or even 20F/28R works very well with wide medium depth rims. 32 spoke rear for a 84 kg rider would needed for a narrow shallow rim like the Open Pro or Excelight but whiles such rims are decent they have new competition that simply benefit from better design i.e they are wider.

OK that's where my learning from Mr Rowland has come from...my 2 wheelsets are Open Pros and Excellights! Although I do have 32 spokes on the Archetypes but that's for a CX bike so bullet proof is the aim (and I'm only 77kg).
    Find me on Strava
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    drlodge wrote:

A bit OTT for most modern V shaped rims (wide or not). 24 front and 28 rear works well for the majority of riders out there. 84 Kg is pretty average... although it's the weight of the heaviest rider currently at the TdF... :shock:

Ugo - what would you recommend? I'm about the same weight

And what hubs (I'm a Campag rider)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    SecretSam wrote:

It depends what you are looking for... people have different priorities on the agenda. Handbuilts answer well if your priorities are : reliable, comfortable, predictable.
    But if you want: stiff and fast, there are pre-assembled options which fit the bill... interestingly in the factory market the relationship between cost and quality is very feeble: I have just rebuilt a Reynolds Strike that had the internal nipples fitted the wrong way round... happy days!
  • drlodge
    SecretSam wrote:

I'd be interested too, seeing as thought I'm also a Campag chap [Champag?]. I guess the "modern" wide-rim equivalent of my wheels would be Miche 24/28 hubs, ACI spokes and Archetype rims?
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    drlodge wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

I'd be interested too, seeing as thought I'm also a Campag chap [Champag?]. I guess the "modern" wide-rim equivalent of my wheels would be Miche 24/28 hubs, ACI spokes and Archetype rims?

These days I use ACI spokes on 32 H builds... both DT comp and Sapim Race build slighlty stiffer, hence they are better for lower spoke count rear wheels. For the front both Laser and Dt revs build lighter with no drawbacks.

As for the rims, I now have a set of 25 mm HED + and whilst they are very nice, they are not a significant improvement over the Archetype... certainly not an upgrade worth 3 times the price.
  • secretsam
    drlodge wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

What sort of Miche hubs??? I've got some Miche 707 stock wheels on my Cinelli, are the hubs any good? Wheels are a little lardy, plus I fancy some new wheels :oops:

• ugo.santalucia
    SecretSam wrote:

What sort of Miche hubs??? I've got some Miche 707 stock wheels on my Cinelli, are the hubs any good? Wheels are a little lardy, plus I fancy some new wheels :oops:

Bike Radar give them a terrible review, which probably means they are very good, seeing the marks that Zipp and similarly unreliable wheels do get... :wink:
    I would assume the hubs are the same as the Primato, just need them laced to a decent rim with some more reasonable spokes. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to shed 200 grams from them and at the same time make them better.
    But of course the temptation to chuck them in the big metal recycling skip in favour of something which is the same but 300 grams lighter is too hard to resist... :wink:
  • secretsam
    SecretSam wrote:

Bike Radar give them a terrible review, which probably means they are very good, seeing the marks that Zipp and similarly unreliable wheels do get... :wink:
    I would assume the hubs are the same as the Primato, just need them laced to a decent rim with some more reasonable spokes. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to shed 200 grams from them and at the same time make them better.
    But of course the temptation to chuck them in the big metal recycling skip in favour of something which is the same but 300 grams lighter is too hard to resist... :wink:

So - this would cost how much? Bearing in mind that I'd be 'losing' a set of spare wheels

• ugo.santalucia
    SecretSam wrote:

So - this would cost how much? Bearing in mind that I'd be 'losing' a set of spare wheels

The economics won't stack up... doing the right thing is never the cheaper options... :wink:

Realistically you are better off keeping them and getting another pair for summer