Upgrading components

cjpowl6818
cjpowl6818 Posts: 17
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I am a newbie at this and need to ask someone that knows about bikes.
I have a 2005 Cannondale Jeckll I am wanting to upgrade the Brakes to hydrolic and change the shifter's and front and back derailleur's. I already bought the Shimano 596 brakes and rt 56 rotors and want to buy the Shimano Deore M590 3x9-Speed Shifter Set, what derailleur's will I need to buy that will work with the shifter set I am going to buy.
All Jekylls require a standard "bottom-pull" type front derailleur with a
31.8mm clamp diameter.
Because the front derailleur mounts to the swingarm, and has a limited
range of vertical adjustment, some derailleur designs (like Shimano
"Top Swing") are not compatible.

This is what is on the Cannondale Jeckll.

Frame Jekyll
Fork Manitou Splice Super 100/130 w/ RTWD
Rear Shock Fox Float RL Pro Pedal
Rims Sun Black Eye Disc, 32 hole
Hubs Cannondale Fire Disc
Spokes DT Champion
Tires IRC Serac XC, 26 x 2.1"
Pedals Wellgo alloy cage w/clip and strap
Crank TruVatiV IsoFlow, 22/32/44
Chain Shimano 9-speed
Rear Cogs SRAM PG-950, 11-34
Bottom Bracket Shimano 4-taper
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur SRAM X-7
Shifters SRAM X-7 Trigger
Handlebars Cannondale Earth, 15 mm rise
Stem Cannondale 3-D Forged
Headset FSA Converter
Brakeset Avid BB5 Disc
Brakelevers Cannondale Earth

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The front mech will work as is with those Deore shifters. For the rear you need a Shimano Mega9 mech
  • cjpowl6818
    cjpowl6818 Posts: 17
    Thanks Chunkers1980, is that the only one I can use or can I use another 9 speed rear derailleur like Deore RD-M591 Mountain Bike Rear Derailleur 9 Speed Long Cage, Like I said I am new to this and would like to learn as I go. And would a ten speed derailleur work on a nine speed, reason I ask is down the road I am wanting to upgrade the sprocket and rear cogs to Deore too, I do not plan on getting another bike any time soon so I would like to upgrade this one little by little.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Any bolt on Shimano 9 speed mech will work with those shifter - long cage will be needed for a 27 spd set up

Deore is base level and entirely serviceable, SLX better, XT better still, XTR pointless extravagance. Go for the Shadow model if you can in whichever model.

You should get new cables with the shifter pods - might be worth getting some outers to freshen up the whole system and get crisp shifting going on.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Most of 10 SPD doesn't work with 9 and is not really and upgrade, just an extra cog.

If you want ten then it is best to do the lot at once:

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-deo ... 70201.html