Liverpool to Bristol route advice?

holiver
holiver Posts: 729
edited July 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,

I am considering cycling from Liverpool to Bristol over 2 days at the end of the month to visit my family. I am looking for route advice other than plugging the relevant post codes into cyclestreets.net and following blindly!

I'll be doing it on my Kinesis and would like to avoid any off road paths due to the 23mm tyres and small load I will carrying. I made the mistake of doing some of the Trans Pennine Trail to Southport from Liverpool last weekend. That kind of path does not suit the bike!

Does anyone have any experience with National Route 45 down from the Chester area to Gloucester? I am looking at coming out of Liverpool via Runcorn, but from there it is unknown to me.

Cheers!

Comments

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I've done the bit from Gloucester to Bristol.
    The sustrans route just South of Gloucester is on a gravel canal path so you might want to do the first bit on the A38. However it's worth getting back on the road section as soon as possible at the bit from Quedgeley to Frampton upon Severn is really nice. From there to Shepards Patch (Slimbridge) is canal path again so back to the A38 for a couple of miles. From Slimbridge/Berkley/ Oldbury on Severn/Olverston it's a very popular route with cyclist and a great ride. Where you get off depends on which bit of Bristol you want. But don't cross the Avon on the M5 bridge and then try to ride up the path from Pill to Bristol as this is a rough track.
  • holiver
    Thanks for the reply!

I think I have made some progress with the route. At the southern end from Gloucester it does look like I have scheduled a couple of km on the canal path from Frampton on Severn to Slimbridge, with it otherwise being all on minor roads. How is the quality of the path there?
  • holiver
    This is the route as I have it at present. It follows pretty closely the cyclestreets.net balanced route. I was thinking to overnight in Kidderminster if I can make it that far in one day!

http://connect.garmin.com/course/7167560
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    It's probably worth looking up some Lejog routes; for the most I see plenty of cyclists coming over the Severn Bridge and heading into Wales, then either going direct to Monmouth or some variant thereof (Northbound route obviously).

How that compares with the routes on the other side of the Severn... well it's flatter over there although it can be bumpy if you want to head into the Cotswolds.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    The canal path from Frampton Upon Severn can be ridden on a road bike with 23 mm tyres but there is of course an increased risk of punctures.
    The Garmin link didn't show anything.
    As stated above there is a route on the borders through to Chepstow and across the Severn bridge. The CTC forum has an entire section on this under LEJOG
  • holiver
    OK thanks. I will check out the CTC forum too..

The Garmin website is a royal pain. I think you need to zoom in a click for the route to become visible, which then means you can't see the start an finish on screen at the same time.