Question about 120BCD ring / single ring spider fitting.

harryzed
harryzed Posts: 7
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
I had someone ask me a question about a chainset I'm selling, the chain ring is 120BCD and they've asked me the following question.

Do you know if the 120 bcd can be removed amd I can install either a different spider to bcd size or even a single ring spider fitting?

I'm a bit out of my depth with it, does anyone know if this can be achieved?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    BCD is BCD. The ring has to match the spider. The question however does not make sense.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Chainrings don't normally have removable spiders - the spider is the mounting system on the crank. 120 BCD is used on SRAM XX cranks I believe and some others - 104 BCD is more typical of mtb applications which I assume this is what you potential buyer wants.

I suggest he shouldn't buy your chainring.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I suggest he shouldn't buy your chainring.

It's the chainset he's selling.

Which cranks are they? Some SRAM ones (X.0, X.9) have removable spiders so you could retrofit a 64/104mm BCD spider, or a direct mount chain ring. Not an option with XX.

80/120 BCD is on most of the SRAM double chainsets.
  • harryzed
    hey! thanks for the help so far, yeah it's the whole chainset I'm selling sorry!!

It's a SRAM X0 BB30 chainset I'm selling, 10 speed double chainset, 39/26 tooth, 170mm...

I can post some photos of it if that helps? Thanks so far though!! Really appreciated!! :)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Apologies - I clearly didn't read that too well.

Then what the others said applies.

Taxi!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • harryzed
    appreciated, thanks all!! :)