Canyon Aeroad - SRAM force - FD issues

Tjgoodhew
Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Iv had a beautiful Canyon for the past two weeks and am still waiting to ride it properly. Reason being the SRAM Force YAW FD wont shift.

I can understand it might not be set properly coming out of the box - the risk you take buying online. Iv tried to adjust it from scratch and no joy. Its now been in the LBS twice and they are struggling to resolve the issue.

It appears that once its set up and shifts perfectly in the stand as soon as any load is put on it the whole FD is moving causing the FD to come out of line. It then wont shift from small to big. The guy thinks it might be an issue with the FD hanger flexing under load

Question is what do i do now ? I love the bike from the few short rides iv had on it but at the same time whats the point if cant actually ride it. Im guessing i can go down the warranty route and get a replacement but there seems to be more and more stories on here about issues with canyons. I would be keen to know if anyone else has the same bike i have and if they have any issues along these lines.

3k can get a hell of a bike and im thinking it may be worth considering other options.

So do i stick or twist ??
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Any pictures? It's a pretty simple piece of kit so I wonder if they've set it up all wrong.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Tjgoodhew
    I will take some tonight. To the eye it looks right and i have checked it against various vids online.
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I had a simlar issue with a SRAM Apex FD, just couldn't understand why it was failing to lift to the big ring so often when it seemed to work fine on the stand. I eventually gave up and fitted an Ultegra which was fine from day 1 and has been since. Shame though because I love the SRAM double tap shifting in general. I know this is only loosely connected to your problem but thought I would mention it, when I was researching mine it seemed that SRAM FDs are prone to issues although some people swear that when set up they are great. :?
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Tjgoodhew
    handful wrote:
    I had a simlar issue with a SRAM Apex FD, just couldn't understand why it was failing to lift to the big ring so often when it seemed to work fine on the stand. I eventually gave up and fitted an Ultegra which was fine from day 1 and has been since. Shame though because I love the SRAM double tap shifting in general. I know this is only loosely connected to your problem but thought I would mention it, when I was researching mine it seemed that SRAM FDs are prone to issues although some people swear that when set up they are great. :?

I was thinking of doing the same - swapping for an Ultegra FD as i to love the feel of the SRAM hoods and the doubletap shifting.

I rode a Canyon with SRAM Red in majorca and the front shifting was perfect every time. Just peeved i cant get mine to work
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Mine has been fine for years now, they are a PITA to set up but it seems once set up they are fine.
    Patience is the best tool to have, hope you get it sorted.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Weird. I have it on at least one of my bikes and it works just fine ? A cabling issue maybe ?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    As above with the cabling, Sram seem to need a fair amount of tension in the cable when on the small ring to work correctly for lifting to the big ring.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Sounds like best to not chuck it in then.

Any SRAM experts on here that are Essex/London/Kent that might be able to give me a hand ??
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    diamonddog wrote:
    As above with the cabling, Sram seem to need a fair amount of tension in the cable when on the small ring to work correctly for lifting to the big ring.

My old bike had Force, from the shop I had trouble with it shifting up then over shifting occasionally when it did. The answer after a lot of head scratching (and a visit back to the shop where they said it was sorted and it wasn't) was simply cable tension. It felt tight but when I pulled the cable by hand the derailleur moved across more, the tension needed to be really right to pull it across fully. After that it worked perfectly.

I've now got Red and find that tight cable tension smoothes the front shifting too, it makes a real 'clack' when I press the left shifter to change down but shifts far better.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I swapped the SRAM Red and Force FDs on both my 10 speed groupos for SRAM Force Yaw 22 FDs. Changing rings on the front is much smoother now. Set up is only slightly different to the old 10 speed FDs and it isn't that difficult. If you've set it up on the small ring making sure the shifter is in the position for the small ring, attach the cable taking out as much slack as possible. It should then change to the big ring and only require the fine adjustment to avoid dropping the chain on the outside.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Just an update - Iv now managed to get it shifting perfectly at the front.

It seemed as though the issue was with cable tension. The cable needed to be a lot tighter than i am used to with Shimano.

Thanks for the advice above and it will be N+1 instead of a replacement
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• I've had this same issue and I cant wait to get rid of the SRAM shoite. FD has a complete life of its own- also experienced non-shifting to big ring......followed by non-shifting to small..............followed by overthrowing off the big ring! Increasing the tension on the FD is also the probable cause, but as the poster above commented, that loud "THWACK", it makes when shifting back onto small ring is totally ridiculous. Id rather have a bloomin' lever on my downtube ffs than this rubbish

Can't wait til my Di2 build is done. The comparison between the two should be interesting....
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I've had this same issue and I cant wait to get rid of the SRAM shoite. FD has a complete life of its own- also experienced non-shifting to big ring......followed by non-shifting to small..............followed by overthrowing off the big ring! Increasing the tension on the FD is also the probable cause, but as the poster above commented, that loud "THWACK", it makes when shifting back onto small ring is totally ridiculous. Id rather have a bloomin' lever on my downtube ffs than this rubbish

Can't wait til my Di2 build is done. The comparison between the two should be interesting....

If it's all so "shoite", I'll give you £10 for the complete groupset. :roll:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    I've had this same issue and I cant wait to get rid of the SRAM shoite. FD has a complete life of its own- also experienced non-shifting to big ring......followed by non-shifting to small..............followed by overthrowing off the big ring! Increasing the tension on the FD is also the probable cause, but as the poster above commented, that loud "THWACK", it makes when shifting back onto small ring is totally ridiculous. Id rather have a bloomin' lever on my downtube ffs than this rubbish

If it's all so "shoite", I'll give you £10 for the complete groupset. :roll:

Ok- PayPal details on their way to you.

Make it £15 to cover P&P though?