Buy now or wait until new models?

Octan
Octan Posts: 11
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hey everyone,

So I'm sort of stuck atm and would like some opinions to help me along...

I was going to get the Boardman Team Pro due to the ~20% off atm, meaning I can get it for ~£1050, but then I'm always looking for the best deal and I realised that if I wait until September or so, I can get a discounted 2014 bike due to the new season of bikes being out.

Would you say it's worth waiting for the drops in price? I'm mainly hoping I can get a 2014 Super Six Evo 105 6 for about a grand or £1.1k. Is that better than the Boardman/does it warrant the wait? Does the cannondale even go down by that much?

Thanks, all opinions are welcome.

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Wait a year and get a discounted bike with road disc brakes there will be loads of 2015 models with road discs so should be a decent choice. Its arguably the biggest development on raod bikes for some time.

clearly if you have no bike at the moment this is crap advice, but was working onthe assumption if waiting until september 14 is an option then so is Sept 15.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Hell naww,

Don't wait a year. Wait a few months maybe but only if you have something you can ride at the moment.
  • Octan
    Yeah I have an old 2010 Trek 1.5 and I think I'm going to wait. I really like the Cannondale and also it will give me more time to think about the prospect... I wont be able to commute to College with it so I'm going to have to start doing more cycling-related stuff outside of school.

Also, is the Cannondale SuperSix 105 better than the Boardman Pro Carbon?
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Don't forget that there is the new 105 being released for 2015...
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • Octan
    I would get the 2015 bike but I can't spend more than £1.1k realistically.

I'm really tempted to get the 2013 SuperSix 105 from PaulsCycles, unless anyone knows what the typical prices are for last season's SuperSix when the new one is released (2014 price when 2015 is released).
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    You won't do better than Paul's for price, for sure. Last-season bikes are a good option of you don't need a 54 or 56.
  • Doony
    Doony Posts: 46
    Wait, and so long as you know your size, keep an eye out for discount codes. I had £1800 off my Felt with sale price and added discount codes from Tredz
    2013 Felt F3 Di2
    2011 Cube Attempt
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    When do the prices for 2014 bikes usually come down?
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • TheHound wrote:

Last week
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • TheHound wrote:

I'd like to know this too - have my cyclescheme voucher dated 1st July and wondering whether I should hold out for a month or two to wait for Cycle Surgery to reduce the 2014 bikes. I know the expiry is 60 days after issue, so it might not quite work out, but I'd be pretty miffed if I get my bike now and it ends up reduced in a month...moving house at the minute anyway so don't want to get it for another few weeks but if anyone has the inside track on when CS will reduce the 2014s, especially Cubes, I'd be most grateful!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Wait until the new models come out, then the old ones will be reduced. Take a careful look at the components, old vs new, sometimes it's worth going for the new years model because there's a component upgrade e.g. New this year models will have 11 speed 105 whereas previous would have had 10 speed 105, so that's worth waiting for.

On the other hand quite often all that's 'new' is the paint scheme, and quite often components get downgraded!
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    TheHound wrote:

I'd like to know this too - have my cyclescheme voucher dated 1st July and wondering whether I should hold out for a month or two to wait for Cycle Surgery to reduce the 2014 bikes. I know the expiry is 60 days after issue, so it might not quite work out, but I'd be pretty miffed if I get my bike now and it ends up reduced in a month...moving house at the minute anyway so don't want to get it for another few weeks but if anyone has the inside track on when CS will reduce the 2014s, especially Cubes, I'd be most grateful!

I was under the impression the cycle scheme vouchers were for full retail price not discounted prices, or am I wr*ng?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I was under the impression the cycle scheme vouchers were for full retail price not discounted prices, or am I wr*ng?

There's no set rules, it depends on the retailer, some will honour discount prices, some not.
  • Think CS honour the discounted price. Paul's Cycles, who discount pretty heavily, add an 11% charge on the voucher value.
  • jolmes
    jolmes Posts: 144
    Also bare in mind that new Boardmans come out every 2 years, not 1 iirc. Unlike your larger named brands they work a little differently that is unless they've changed it in the past few months...