New budget bib shorts with a decent pad...

rickeverett
rickeverett Posts: 988
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Came off the bike for the first time in years yesterday as ripped up my summer bibs.

I'm looking for a budget £40-60ish set of bib shorts as a quick replacement and was wondering if there's any recommendations??

Importantly, I like a decent pad. I have a cheap set of Chinese rip-off longs for winter that have a really nice, thick, coolmax pad in them. I haven't been able to find any bibs since that have such a comfy pad !. My Rose bibs were comfy and wicked well, but the pad was on the thin side.

Have been checking out Altura Ergofit Comp bibs and some Dhb's but unsure about the thickness.

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Check out Polaris, they also have some good deals on this weekend.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its all individual - but I really rate the DHB Aeron Pros. £65 and really well made and comfy.
    I tried about 3 pairs of really expensive Castelli on before these and the DHB were far better.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    try Lusso - I also have a pair of chinese bibs with a coolmax pad (which are surprisingly good) but my Lusso shorts are a lot better.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I know you find them comfy, but do you really think the pad in your knock-off Chinese shorts is really a coolmax one?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Endura FS260
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • You could do way worse than DHB IME the Tour pad is noticably thincker and more comfy than the Giro so check which comes with which model
  • rickeverett
    schweiz wrote:
    I know you find them comfy, but do you really think the pad in your knock-off Chinese shorts is really a coolmax one?

:D IWell it does have "coolmax" stamped into it and the description has a load of fancy coolmax diagrams. It may be fake, it may not, but its surprisingly nice. Definitely a thick tour pad. They aren't that bad in quality TBH and were bought out of both interest in why people were raving about them and as a cheap 2nd winter set.
  • rickeverett
    cougie wrote:
    Its all individual - but I really rate the DHB Aeron Pros. £65 and really well made and comfy.
    I tried about 3 pairs of really expensive Castelli on before these and the DHB were far better.

You could do way worse than DHB IME the Tour pad is noticably thincker and more comfy than the Giro so check which comes with which model

Just looking at the Aeron Pro and cheaper Aeron Race. Would you say the extra £20 difference is worth it for the Aeron Pro?
  • Yes the Tour pad is defo thicker and more comfy (if you like a thicker pad) - the Race has the Giro FIR pad and the Pro has the Tour FIR. Well worth £20 in my book
  • rickeverett
    Yes the Tour pad is defo thicker and more comfy (if you like a thicker pad) - the Race has the Giro FIR pad and the Pro has the Tour FIR. Well worth £20 in my book

Cheers. Its looking like the Dhb's then at the moment.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If there are any left in your size, the Etxeondo's on Merlin are far and away the best value right now - the Dicolor is the best bang for the buck but really any of them is great - if you want to spend more then lots of Assos owners say the Orhi is better than anything Assos offer for twice the money...
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    Endura FS260

This is what i am going to get tomorrow.
    I have some Hincapie which are excellent, however the ones i have i can't find anywhere now.
    I also have some Louis Garneau and they do not disperse the sweat very well so the pad gets wet/
    D
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Endura FS260

My favourite shorts, always wear these on rides >2hrs, the pad and the shorts are excellent quality and are around £60.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    apreading wrote:
    If there are any left in your size, the Etxeondo's on Merlin are far and away the best value right now - the Dicolor is the best bang for the buck but really any of them is great - if you want to spend more then lots of Assos owners say the Orhi is better than anything Assos offer for twice the money...

The Orhi bibs are now even cheaper at merlin, £74.99 which is an unbelievable price.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Another vote for Endura FS260s
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • djp66
    djp66 Posts: 115
    ... and another vote for the FS260s from me
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    FuriousD wrote:
    Endura FS260

This is what i am going to get tomorrow.
    I have some Hincapie which are excellent, however the ones i have i can't find anywhere now.
    I also have some Louis Garneau and they do not disperse the sweat very well so the pad gets wet/
    D

Picked up some FS260 pros today. Seem pretty good for the money.
    Not been out yet as the weather is crap.
    D