Hamilton tailoring history...

debeli
debeli Posts: 583
edited July 2014 in The cake stop
I don't watch much F1 these days. I am too old and it is not a patch on other forms of motorsport as a spectacle (not least MotoGP).

Nonetheless, it has a mass-media ubiquity that makes it hard to avoid. I saw the attached on the BBC and found it most unusual. L Hamilton is behind N Rosberg in the standings and has decided to take inspiration from M Ali and his rope-a-dope tactic against J Frazier.

There is a smidgen of difference. Ali knew that Frazier was a hard hitter and chose (at some personal and professional risk) to let him punch himself out. Hamilton is simply not doing the same thing. He's been racing his heart out, he's been unlucky and he's behind in the standings. Rosberg is very good and seems to be able to get a car across the line. Hamilton is also very good and seems to drive in a slightly less mechanically sympathetic way. He is not deliberately letting Rosberg punch himself out and become overconfdent and physically exhausted - which is what Ali did in Manila. A slightly odd image for Hamilton to use.

Carry on. Don't mind me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/28147502

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I agree with you. I am surprised he's not done well. The Austrian GP could have been the other way around had the pit stops been opposite timings (NR was 2.8s to LH's 3.3s).

I think he needs to pull his finger out in qualifying as he can easily hold the head of the race once there.