Tour on the radio

mattsccm
mattsccm Posts: 409
edited July 2014 in Pro race
I doubt the UK has got this far but you never know.
Anyone know of any live radio coverage of the tour?
something to take some time whilst waiting.

Comments

• argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    mattsccm wrote:
    I doubt the UK has got this far but you never know.
    Anyone know of any live radio coverage of the tour?
    something to take some time whilst waiting.

5 Live Sports Extra have it live.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    From what I could see it was limited coverage. I'll look again
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    mattsccm wrote:
    It's hit and miss - it gets shoved aside if there's a cricket Test match on. Also I don't know who is doing it the year as Simon Brotherton is at the World Cup. OJ Borg? Jill Douglas? Ali Bruce-Ball?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    RichN95 wrote:
    mattsccm wrote:
    It's hit and miss - it gets shoved aside if there's a cricket Test match on. Also I don't know who is doing it the year as Simon Brotherton is at the World Cup. OJ Borg? Jill Douglas? Ali Bruce-Ball?

Rob's Hatch and Hayles I think.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    r0bh wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    mattsccm wrote:

Rob's Hatch and Hayles I think.
    As long as it's not Ali BB, I'm happy.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    BBC Radio 6 Music are having an all day Tour special today. They are currently playing Kraftwerk's Tour de France, well what else, but later they have Wiggo and Paul Weller on as well as Vicky P and Sarah Storey.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    what about ITV4 on your phone ?
  • chris_ne
    chris_ne Posts: 20
    dsoutar wrote:
    what about ITV4 on your phone ?
    Not on most of the stage 1 route
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    isn't ITV4 subscription only on ITV player as well for some bizarre reason, despite being a freeview channel?

edit: ignore that- its not, maybe it was a while back
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    t4tomo wrote:
    isn't ITV4 subscription only on ITV player as well for some bizarre reason, despite being a freeview channel?

edit: ignore that- its not, maybe it was a while back

It also doesn't appear to support Live streaming. Well it didn't to me during a quick look at it anyway. If anyone else knows any better....

Suppose you could load the ITV website on your mobile phone and stream it there. Doubt it would be a good steady stream though...
  • argyllflyer
    IanREmery wrote:

It also doesn't appear to support Live streaming. Well it didn't to me during a quick look at it anyway. If anyone else knows any better....

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/itv4

Streams live as far as I can see.
  • chris_ne
    As I said earlier you will be very unlikely to have a 2G signal on most of the route never mind 3G or 4G. Yes they have the tractor hotspots they only have a range of 500m
  • chris_ne
    As I said earlier you will be very unlikely to have a 2G signal on most of the route never mind 3G or 4G. Yes they have the tractor hotspots they only have a range of 500m
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    The issue is that once you're away from the big masts and in highly populated areas such as crowds your internet speeds will plummet.

This might not be so bad if you're on a 4G plan as they're not so common yet but you'll struggle to stream anything in any of the busy areas.

I'm thinking I might need to find a DAB handheld radio somewhere.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • chris_ne
    Lancew wrote:
    The issue is that once you're away from the big masts and in highly populated areas such as crowds your internet speeds will plummet.

This might not be so bad if you're on a 4G plan as they're not so common yet but you'll struggle to stream anything in any of the busy areas.

I'm thinking I might need to find a DAB handheld radio somewhere.
    The problem is not that there is not enough bandwidth to go around, there is no mobile coverage at all. A lot of people will be in places where mobile phones and internet do not work.
    I know it's hard for people to comprehend but there are vast areas of rural England with no mobile signal at all. Anyone relying on Google maps to get them around needs to download offline maps before leaving for Yorkshire.
  • argyllflyer
    Not sure of DAB coverage in that part of Yorkshire but 5LSX are covering the whole stage apparently, according to what was just said on BBC Breakfast News.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    try 5 live extra on the ukradio player app it's working for me right now http://www.radioplayer.co.uk/
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.