Brake blocks for carbon rims

Dippydog2
Dippydog2 Posts: 291
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
My wheels came with Swisstop Black pads branded by the wheel manufacturer.

I think they are probably black prince. Can't believe they have a special compound.

Anyway, they seem to be wearing very quickly. I don't think I'm that heavy on brakes, but there is a fair amount of visible break dust ( it's a white frame) after each ride. At this rate I don't think the pads will last more than six weeks of so.

Is this right? Swisstop replacements are nearly £40 a set.

Any alternatives that do the job as well?

Comments

• ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    Don't train with these pads and they will last longer.

Wiggle has some Lifeline pads that are cheaper,altough don't know how they perform.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Lifelines perform well but I'm not sure they are the best choice for rim life. I only swap mine on for the odd 10 mile tt with very little braking and they always come off with a god caking of black. Slightly worrying for a blue pad.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Carbon fibre is softer than aluminium, hence you need softer pads. Softer pads wear quicker than harder pads. You can fit a harder wearing pad, but it won't be as good and it might wear out your rim faster.
    If you have spent a few hundreds to buy carbon wheels, then don't scrimp on the pads

Would you buy a Ferrari and service it with low quality engine oil?
    left the forum March 2023
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Surely £40 every 6 weeks is more expensive than 2 carbon planet x rims and rebuild over the course of 2 years?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Carbon pads wear out quickly which is why these are rims are for racing not for training. I have been using cheap baradine pads and they seem quite decent but switched for last night TT to campagnolo pads and they are brilliant for braking at least. Trying to limit my use of these wheels at present must build an alloy set tommorrow for the sannino as is far to nice not to ride.

All the carbon pads I have tired have been soft they need to be.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    Carbon fibre is softer than aluminium, hence you need softer pads. Softer pads wear quicker than harder pads. You can fit a harder wearing pad, but it won't be as good and it might wear out your rim faster.
    If you have spent a few hundreds to buy carbon wheels, then don't scrimp on the pads

Would you buy a Ferrari and service it with low quality engine oil?

As usual, your advice is pragmatic and spot on. I shall MTFU, get my wallet out and live with the wear.

If only carbon wheel cost a few hundreds. :D
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178
    which wheels?

the lightweight pads from swissstop are a bit steep, they do seem to be specific to lw (and aren't the same as black prince) according to the lw guy who sometimes posts on the ww forum) and work surprisingly well in the wet too

they do wear fast but, as above, if it's avoiding rim wear it's worthwhile
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • lawrences wrote:
    Lifelines perform well but I'm not sure they are the best choice for rim life. I only swap mine on for the odd 10 mile tt with very little braking and they always come off with a god caking of black. Slightly worrying for a blue pad.

This doesn't tally with my experience.
    Pads are wearing quick but no 'caking of black'
    £7 for all four seems like a bargain
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul